Roon on ubuntu 18.04?

Cool. Would be nice to know i could move to 18.04…

thanks
Phil

I have tried do-release-upgrade but it failed

roon@roonserver:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
ERROR:root:gedefaultlocale() failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/UpdateManager/Core/utils.py”, line 398, in get_lang
(locale_s, encoding) = locale.getdefaultlocale()
File “/usr/lib/python3.5/locale.py”, line 558, in getdefaultlocale
return _parse_localename(localename)
File “/usr/lib/python3.5/locale.py”, line 486, in _parse_localename
raise ValueError(‘unknown locale: %s’ % localename)
ValueError: unknown locale: UTF-8

Did you complete the pre-upgrade steps and disable any non-core apt repos?

MMmm actually no :blush:
I won’t try as the system is perfectly stable and performant now. Thanks for the hint !

The steps are something like this:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install update-manager-core
sudo apt autoremove
sudo nano /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades

The last line should have Prompt=lts if you only want LTS upgrades.

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Comment any custom sources using #. For example, I use Veeam to backup my system volume.

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

That’s it. I didn’t need to make further changes for Roon. Check using sudo service roonserver status or sudo systemctl status roonserver. IIRC there were a few things to tidy up afterwards because certain packages were superseded, but no affect on Roon.

As an aside, and a warning to others, iCloud Drive does not have any versioning or file recovery features–I realised this afternoon that I’d lost my build notes (the file was empty) and I have no other backup because Apple puts these files in ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/ and I’d not included this in my backup set … be warned synchronising tools are not the same a backups!

1 Like

I’d have some trouble, too.
That’s what I did:

1.)
$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
2.)
$ sudo apt-get install curl
3.)
$ sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
4.)
$ curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
$ chmod +x roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
$ sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

Now it is working perfect.

1 Like

Thank you - that finally did it for me as well :slight_smile:

I’ve been running Twonky Server on Ubuntu 18 and I need to switch to Roon. I really liked Ubuntu because of the minimal install option and the easy network bridging (which I need), but I’m a novice with Linux. I saw the install instructions and ffmeg seemed to be the only additional requirement. I only see alsa-base and alsa-utils on my machine. I’m also assuming you would need the control point on another machine, and W10 would be my choice for that. Can someone walk me thru this? Thanks.

great!
nice

See the following post if you would like to run Roon as a less privileged user (not root).

And this one about possible drawbacks when doing so.

1 Like

Correct. Safer to use apt, not snap.

Hi
so I just installed Roon Bridge on Ubintu 18.04.3 LTS using easy install and, if I understand it correctly it supposed to install all necessary dependencies as well, and got a message saying that it running as service
I understand that there is no remote for linux and there is no plans to have one anytime soon. I have Roon Remote app on my Galaxy S9+ and it is just saying looking for the core. I’m new to linux so any help is appreciated

As Roon Bridge is just a bridge/output, where is your Roon Core running? Or did you wanted to install Core and mistakenly installed Bridge?

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Architecture
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Software_packages
https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

No. please read the LinuxInstall guide linked above.

Thanks for reply
As I said I’m new to linux and thought that is Bridge is a Core for linux

Uninstall Roon Bridge as follows:

sudo ./roonbridge-installer-linuxx64.sh uninstall

Now deal with dependencies:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install ffmpeg cif-utils

Finally, download Roon Server and install as before.

How much memory is advicable for the VM that runs Ubuntu18.04 and Roon Server? I currently run Roon Server on an iMac w/32 GB in where I also do workstation stuff, such as web browsing, email, programming and Affinity Photo.

I’d start with 8GB; that should be fine. I assume you plan to use a minimal install of Ubuntu Server.

What would this imply? Minimal? I will run an LX zone under Open Solaris. A zvol actually, I can set any amount of RAM appropriate, what is the RAM used for?

Such as

9aa48095-da9d-41ca-a094-31d1fb476b98 ubuntu-certified-18.04 20190627.1.1 linux zvol 2019-07-03

I’m referring to the host system–Ubuntu–in the container. Roon Server doesn’t need a GUI, so I recommend you do a minimal install of Ubuntu 18.04.3 Server plus Roon Server and a few dependencies.

Ubuntu needs 4GB, so double that for Roon with a small to medium library. You may have issues if the zfs volume is on spinning disk; Roon really needs an SSD.