Roon Radio prioritizes TIDAL over local versions of songs

Some of what you want can be achieved by filtering and shuffle. Restrict Roon to local files then apply criteria and choose shuffle.

@zenit could you help me here? the feature works so badly that Iā€™ve had to disable TIDAL for my Roon account, so I couldnā€™t find local files. This doesnā€™t only affect Radio, but search too.

Iā€™ve had a hard time engaging with Roon Staff here, not sure whatā€™s going on or how to get support.

Hi @Jose_Albornoz,

As a rule, Roon tries to use library content when itā€™s available, throughout the product.

Sometimes we miss oneā€“this happens because sometimes Roon is not sure that two tracks are identical, and when the system is unsure, it errs on the side of safety and uses the exact track that was found by the search engine or chosen by Roon Radio, instead of potentially substituting a library track that may be accidentally different.

It works the majority of the time today (and likely, you do not even notice when it is working), but it does miss here and there when it is unsure. We are working on making this algorithm fuzzier on an ongoing basis. Some changes have been made, but arenā€™t fully rolled out yet. I think this will get better over the coming months.

2 Likes

Hi @brian , thanks for your explanation of the current behaviour.

This edge case became frustrating enough that I had to disable TIDAL integration, I was missing out on complete albums that were unsearchable.

Iā€™m looking forward for the fixes, thanks for taking the time on a weekend to write about this :slight_smile:

Not sure it does.

I did a search on a track and it came up with the EP it was on and it showed the icons for both local and Tidal versions. However when I clicked on the album it went to the track in Tidal rather than the full EP I have in my library (same resolution FLAC files). There was an option to view complete album on Tidal and I had to click on that and then ā€œversionsā€ before it took me to my local FLAC version of the EPā€¦

Very annoying

If its the same resolution file it should default to any local versions over streaming services

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.