Roon Ready Certification

I nearly lost it today when I read the first announcement. Especially this part:

How will this impact me?

• If your device is Enabled in Roon’s settings, it will stay Enabled. But if you Disable the device, you will not be able to Enable it again after September 21st.
  • If you purchase a device that is not certified as Roon Ready, you will not be able to Enable it for use after September 21st.

I have eight zones, and none of the devices I have purchased are “certified as Roon Ready.” (mostly Raspberry Pi builds running Roon Bridge) If the policy was as it is stated above and I disabled any of them for any reason after September 21st, they would be gone forever. Horrifying.

Adding the following clarifying paragraph near the top of the announcement and communication would be tremendously helpful:

Roon Bridge is not affected. Community-developed stuff is not affected. This is only about manufacturers who licensed the Roon Ready SDK from us commercially, then violated our license by skipping the Roon Ready certification process. It’s not very many manufacturers. We began communicating with manufacturers about this in 2018 . They have had ample warning to sort things out.

Cc: @dylan

2 Likes