Roon ready devices with Dirac Live

What are you using for USB?

I started with an old 2010 Mac mini running roon bridge. I have recently moved to an Allo Digione going SPDIF into the SHD. I have not noticed any improvement/change in the sound, but I like the smaller form factor of the Allo digione package compared to the Mac Mini.

Hi,

I have been thinking at the SHD Studio because is an all digital device

I heard before that installing the new recipe in volumio would have reduced the bitrate to 16bit.

However from previous comments here this doesnt seem the case.

In terms of mqa unfolding i know that minidsp doesnt do that, but my plan was to pair the device with a mytek brooklyn dac+, which is MQA certified.

Can anyone at roon, at minidsp, at mytek or from the community confirm if roon/minidsp/dac combination Will be able to perform the unfold+render of the mqa files?

EDIT:
Alternatively i saw the all digital DDRC-22D that could get the digital input from a streamer, and get the digital signal out. However as the internal frequency is 96khz, would this work before the mqa rendering?

Aka streamer output 96khz via spdif -> DDRC-22D -> mytek dac+ rendering mqa

The problem is that i dont know if the dsp has to happen on the fully unfolded/rendered audiofile or if it can happen after the first unfold and then the rendering can be carried over later on for higher frequencies…

Thanks,

Maurizio

I found the answer for the ddrc-22d by looking at mydsp forums. Short answer the first unfold will happen on the roon, it will output spund but the dac wont see the mqa stream so wont render the remaining frequency spectrum

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/minidsp-for-newbies/13467-ddrc-22d-mqa-passthrough

Still unsure about the shd studio though but i suppose it will be similar.

Hi, - How does Roon and Dirac communicate? Does Roon send the signal to Dirac and then to the Roon endpoint?

MiniDSP SHD and SHD Studio can now be used directly in Roon and is in the process of being tested for Roon Ready (RAAT) AFAIK. Probably means that one will see ‘Uncertified’ until the testing is finished.

I’m not @Cantodea, but no, Dirac does not integrate with Roon unfortunately. I guess Dirac could decide to integrate with Roon if they wanted to by letting Roon run the Dirac processing engine (not the VST variant). Dirac won’t do that.
1 - Dirac would have to open up their software code to Roon. (Devialet has done this with the AIR protocol)
2 - Dirac has a licensing policy which would not work with the Roon zone model (multi-room). Essentially you’d have to buy a Dirac license for each zone you want room-corrected

Of course I do not know what Roon and Dirac has discussed. There may be other issues that I am not aware of.

It would be so cool if Dirac and Roon could play nice together. It would be the perfect marriages (:blush:

1 Like

Yes it would! One more point to add: Roon runs on Mac, Windows and Linux. Dirac only on Mac and Windows. Linux is important to Roon so there may be some disagreement between Roon and Dirac there.

Linux is very important for any one that will run a server with a small footprint.

Linux is taking over the world of servers.

The Monoprice HTP-1 is a Roon endpoint with Dirac Live 2. It’s not currently Roon certified, but that should occur fairly soon.

1 Like

Only supports 192K, but that should be enough for most people.

Definitely a kick ass front end video device.

Thanks for the heads up.

It’s only been for sale for a couple of weeks. I have one of the first made.

Yeah, thanks. Interesting device! What’s the DAC inside, any idea? OTS, or do they roll their own?

I see the “USB Audio” port in the back is marked “Not supported” in the manual.

DAC is a AKM4493.
The USB input will be activated, probably sooner than later.

Is there a easy solution with miniDSP that also delivers high quality (MQA etc) via Tidal etc. to get Dirac Live & Roon seemingly work together?