Roon Ready MQA DAC recommendations

Got into Roon recently courtesy of a FW upgrade to my Oppo 203. And with TIDAL integration I’m loving it. But, due to limitations with the Oppo 203, I can’t black any DSD files. I also can’t do MQA. What hardware is there that will enable me to put a networked device into my system, connected to my AVR (preferably) via digital connection that will playback DSD and MQA via Roon and also via TIDAL through Roon.

Not sure about the digital output, but the following check all the other boxes:

Lumin T1 (and the others, D1, d2, S1 etc)
PS Audio Directstream and Jr.
Cary Audio dms-500

The Pro-Ject pre Box S2 Digital is now (with the latest firmware and drivers) a very nice DAC, works flawless, plays DSD512 native and full-MQA (which means it also plays MQA from Roon), and the previous MQA drop-outs has been fixed. Dual-mono ESS 9038 chips, and it costs less than $400

1 Like

What? This needs a Streamer. No?

Yes it does, although a similar model with streaming is in development.

I assume an rPi could do the job of feeding the S2? Still silly cheap.

I have narrowed these down to:

1 - Cary Audio DMS-500

2 - PS Audio DirectStream with Bridge II

I can get either one for same price.

They both do MQA full unfold via Roon.

Thoughts?

Very good news. Thanks

Does PS Audio DirectStream with Bridge II does full unfold without in DAC built-in? You probably need a PS Audio Directstream Jr to make the final rendering.

Yes it does. As of the most recent software release a couple of weeks ago. Look it uo

Yes. PS Audio didn’t want to put any MQA un-folding code in their FPGA code. Unfolding is done by the Bridge II network card (ConversDigital), before it hits the FPGA.

PS Audio sent a DirectStream unit to MQA Ltd for them to do their impulse response measurements.

Probably 1st unfold? You need a known DAC to complete the full unfold. Optimising the impulse response requires a known DAC chip, which is called rendering. Unless PS Audio does something different here or MQA has change its mind of this aspect?

The Bridge II has been unfolding up to 24/192 for quite a while now…

I don’t know the details of whether this was a different process. But what I shared above has been shared publicly on their forum long ago.

See here:

Thanks, looks like not a full unfold up to 352.8/384kHz without de-blurring but some impulse response optimization done by them and Ted. There’s a mention it ‘tailor’ to fit the DAC, not sure which DAC or PS Audio own DAC?

The un-folding to 24/192 limit is because of the limitation of the Bridge II network card …

CoversDigital Mconnect module

http://www.conversdigital.com/kor/product/product01.php

1 Like

MQA Ltd were sent a DirectStream DAC to perform impulse response measurements (as I mentioned before).

Thanks for the info, so I guessed it is ‘tailor’ for their own DirectStream DAC and probably not optimised to work with other DACs.

Yes, from what has been made public. We don’t now the exact details and likely never will know the full details (contractual confidentiality). So I am just guesstimating based on what’s been said publicly, so I could be very wrong.

Nobody has any guidance on these two?

In that price range don’t forget the Mytek Manhattan and the NAD M12. Both need additional network cards like the PSAudio to make them Roon Ready.

You will find reviews on line for all four of these which will give you some ideas of which ones have the features you need and might suit your tastes/ system.