"Roon Ready" versus "Chromecast built-in"?

You can use an Ethernet adapter for Chromecast.

1 Like

Yes, I have Ethernet adapters for all my CCAs. $15 extra, I seem to recall. Seems like it’s actually an advantage to give one the option of paying for the Ethernet jack, or not. As @brian put it back in 2018:

It is one of the highest value/effort features that we have ever released. The base cost of a turnkey Roon zone is now $35, or $50 with ethernet.

1 Like

I had forgotten that the CCA actually worked with power adapter with Ethernet in it.
I have a couple of CCA plugged in but don’t use them with Roon, as I have Roon Ready devices(that the CCA are plugged into over optical to give other services a chance), but it’s good to find that out again.
I also have a couple of unused 4K chromecasts that have those adapters included so could be useful for some future testing.

I had not forgotten about the ethernet adapters…i just never knew to start with!

Mine have been rock solid on wifi but interesting to know…if you can still GET the ethernet adapters of course as the CCA is long discontinued.
Ebay probably.

So, what can they do that a “Chromecast inside” device can’t? For instance, can you switch inputs using Roon?

Sadly No, I have manually select them in the apps or remote control as I am just using the original CCA with optical outputs.
Two of my Streamers Bluesound PowerNode and Matrix Audio only have Airplay (and Roon etc) which no one else in the house really uses. But both have optical inputs and work well with Chromecast as an additional input.

The CCA are great little devices and I think I got two of my three for about £15 so they were an absolute bargain and have been in and out of devices for the whole time I have had them.
Never really had an issue with WiFi signal either when shoved behind a cabinet.

My son wants to steal one back because the Chromecast built in that is in his new Onkyo streaming amplifier is awful in every way (WiFi drops off, songs take ages to start) and I think that goes to what Simon wrote earlier that not all Chromecast is made the same.

2 Likes

I would have to agree.
The built in Chromecast in the wife’s new tv is awful for dropout’s.
So bad I actually ran another " evil" to replace it…EoP!

1 Like

I wonder if that works on the original CCA hockey puck units and not just the later TV units?

Would gapless vs non-gapless playback be a topic in this discussion? RAAT certainly can do gapless. How about Chromecast?

Real Chromecast certainly can.
My definition being for example the CCA audio hockey pucks running 24/96 and gapless.
All three of mine do on wifi no less.

I think so. If you look at the specs, it looks pretty generic. I guess the real question is whether they use the same wiring in the USB connector. I don’t know if that’s some kind of standard, or not.

There are brand specific differences between a built in CC and late model external CC pucks (not CCA),
With my Onkyo RZ740 I only have one audio playing mode stereo + subwoofer. With that the entire Onkyo sound processing is active.
With the external CC I have access to all sound mode including pure which eliminates most of sound processing.
48/24 limitations on both as well as slow reactions to commands.
I have no means of testing RAAT vs CC sound quality as the Onkyo is not Roon ready.

1 Like

No. Will not work. Chromecast with Google TV is USB C.

AJ

1 Like

Not my eBay listing, just an example. The official micro USB Ethernet adapter.

AJ

1 Like

This one does work…

1 Like

I have a couple of CCA plugged in but don’t use them with Roon, as I have Roon Ready devices(that the CCA are plugged into over optical to give other services a chance), but it’s good to find that out again.

Cable aside, if I use a C-to-A cable with it, will it work? Interesting question. I ordered one to try it out.

I have no means of testing RAAT vs CC sound quality as the Onkyo is not Roon ready..

Chromecast on my Sony HT-A9 home theatre system does bit-perfect with Roon up to 96/24 and sounds excellent. Roon is also able to control volume and wake the system from standby even though it’s not Roon tested. If a future HT receiver or second room system has Chromecast I’d probably relax and use it - but in my main music system and the headphone rig I want to be able to play my 192/24 and DSD albums natively / without conversion - and this is where RAAT scores for me (and probably for ultimate SQ / fidelity, although I haven’t made comparisons).

1 Like