Roon´s handling of classical composers vs. non-classical

I edited all the Beethoven albums with Beethoven added as ‘primary artist’ and they still don’t show up when choosing Beethoven from the artists list.
Apparently @support doesn’t have an answer or doesn’t care. Otherwise they would have chimed in with answers or at least suggestions. That’s very disappointing.

Several aspects need to be correct, it seems: the primary artist is the last resort, but first a composer needs to be only a composer, not an “ensemble” (as it is mysteriously set for many of my albums), and the album mostly (but not always) needs to be identified by Roon.

I have such a list of things I do when trying to make order, but for some albums nothing seems to help.

I tried your suggestion but the result was the same poor results.
It appears Roon’s @support has given up on this, so I guess it’s time for me to realize this will never be addressed and fixed.
Too bad and very sad.

That is to be expected as Beethoven does have neither a ´main albums´ nor ´appearances´ section. To make an album appear, he has to be assigned as the composer but not anything else.

Again: Are these albums identified by roon or is roon relying solely on local tags? I guess they are unidentified and that explains a lot.

Having dealt with 10,000+ classical albums I see a 99% chance It can be fixed. Proper identification, tagging and understanding why roon is handling it that way, are key. Could you show an album page of one of the affected albums please, let’s say Beethoven symphony 9 from SACD?

Have you tried to Focus on Identified albums and then click “-” to change it to unidentified?

This is by no means as comprehensive as you seem to want; it only works at the album level. Perhaps Roon can create a similar focus option for compositions.

I tried focussing on unidentified albums frequently in order to identify more albums manually. It is a very useful feature.

With my particular problem - albums having no composers assigned and do not exist on composer´s pages and in composition lists - it is not helping. All these albums are identified correctly but the set of metadata which roon can provide is empty except from primary artist, album title, cover and release date. That is often the case with albums being released on LP, blu-ray or DVD solely and which do not exist in MusicBrainz. Stumbled on a fresh example today:

Track titles come from local tags in this case. If I could identify those albums with a ´has (no) composer´ focus, I would know which albums to re-tag next.

What happens if you accept this match and save - does the rest of the metadata get filled in correctly by Roon?

I’ve often seen discrepancies with track timings, but other than that, the albums seem to be recognised…

The album is fully integrated into roon with solely primary artist, album title and release date from roon´s incomplete set of metadata (sometimes cover). Other things depend a 100% on local tags. In many cases they are not matching roon´s syntax, so there is no composer, artists´ names are not matching the spelling which roon knows and compositions are split into parts or do not appear at all.

“That is to be expected as Beethoven does have neither a ´main albums´ nor ´appearances´ section. To make an album appear, he has to be assigned as the composer but not anything else.”

There is no ‘composer’ option in the edit section for these, or any, albums.
Perhaps if there were such an option I could successfully edit these albums. But there isn’t.
And once again- @support.

If these are ripped albums, and you are using a third party metadata editor, then add the composer tag to the relevant album tracks.

If you are not using a metadata editor then you can use Roon’s track editor to add a composer credit to the relevant tracks…

1 Like

Or Roon could add a ‘composer’ option to the album’s edit page.
I ripped these albums using JRiver and a laptop and I assume the metadata that was on the original cd was in the ripped file. All the metadata on rock, blues, pop, etc. seemed to be there ripping the exact same way. All the rock, blues, pop, etc, files are cataloged by Roon correctly 99.9% of the time.
It’s bad enough to expect the Roon subscriber to edit classical albums, but to have to do it to individual tracks is just ridiculous. I paid my Roon subscription to have these things taken care of by Roon, not by me.
Just saying.

You don’t add a composer credit “by individual tracks” - you can add a composer credit to multiple tracks. So for a Beethoven symphony (or bunch of symphonies) you would add the composer credit to all the selected tracks in one operation.

And if the album contains (or albums contain) only works by a single composer, then add the composer credit to the album (or selected multiple albums) - again, one operation.

And remember, this is only necessary for unidentified albums…

There’s this about multi-selection

but there’s more that it doesn’t mention. See here (which is about playlists but the same selection options exist with other items):

Yup - the same selection methods as used in Windows or Mac - depending on what you use… There are also the Keyboard shortcuts which are found in :gear: > Keyboard shortcuts…

Well, there are some quirks with e.g. starting a range selection (and as far as I know the ability to select multiple ranges in unique to Roon) so it would be nice if the documentation didn’t leave out half of it :slight_smile:

I’ve gone into the editing pages for individual albums and tracks. Right clicked albums and tracks. There is no ‘composer’ choice option anywhere. These are identified albums.
I realize you guys are trying to help, but the bottom line is that this a Roon problem that they refuse to address. I am paying them to jump through the hoops. And still no one from @support has chimed in. Pitiful and shameful on Roon’s part.

Strange, I have in single album view Edit > Edit album > Credits > Edit credits and subsequently can add a credit (first name, than role as composer).

Do you have these options of adding credits? They look a bit different if you mark more then 1 album or track.

Or those coming with incomprehensive metadata in roon, e.g. sourced from Tivo, lacking any composer credit. While this is a rare thing among pop, rock and modern releases of Classical and Jazz, it is not uncommon with releases from the analogue era or uncommon releases such as DVD/vinyl rips or alike.

1 Like

This is absolutely not rare at all when listening to anything that’s only slightly not mainstream. Just sayin’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, maybe my pop and rock selection IS actually mainstream :wink:

You are absolutely right, missing composer credits might happen with any genre. Just noticed with Classical and Jazz from the analogue era it is really a mass phenomenon.