Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

Roons display isn’t text based you can’t select it as it’s a rendered image with button overlays, much like a games engine menu system.

I want to sort Albums (not artists) by genre. But the only Focus option is “Has Genres”, but there’s no dropdown to pick one.

What am I missing?

I suspect an issue with your roon database, try restarting roon core that may resolve it.
My system (see image) is fine…

1 Like

That took care of it - thanks.

1 Like

When I search for Traffic:

It always suggests this unknown-to-me Rap artist I don’t have in my collection:

Rather than the legendary Steve Winwood band of which I have 9 albums in my collection which I would expect to be the first result:

There are many examples like this. I really wish Roon Search would prioritize the items in my library. 99% of the time, I want to quickly access something in my library. When Search works as expected, it’s much faster than filtering. When it doesn’t, it’s pretty frustrating.

2 Likes

I expect to be able to find a track by an artist, but searching for a track name and filtering by the artist or by searching the artist name and filtering by the track. try to find respect by Aretha Franklin (should be an easy one and it should return all releases of the track by her.

I was able to duplicate what you posted above.

Then I got out of Roon and searched for “All That Matters” on the Tidal, Apple, and Qobus apps and got nothing. Same with Bing and Google.

Then I added Reelsoul to the end and it worked on everything except Roon.

I’m guessing there’s a metadata problem with this album/track.

This was doable.

Search for “respect” and select “See all results”:

Scroll down the results page until you reach the “Tracks” section and click “MORE”:

Filter the results by “aretha”:

1 Like

This is actually pretty cool…

Now that the owner of roon has a ton of money and owns a tesla he has let the service that we all signed up for go to crap. the experience of finding a song that has a ton of other version’s can’t be accessed if you are using your phone as a remote. you can find albums on search but can via other methods. credits as in who is in the band is missing entirely from so many albums. what are we paying for again?

What is cool?
Trying to find a world famous Song by a world famous Artist with the maximum amount of clicks and scrolling? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Searched for “Kid Creole & The Coconuts”: top result Marilyn Manson (searched band didn’t even appear)

Tried “Kid Creole”: top result Angelique Kidjo (searched band didn’t appear)

Edit: Just tried “Kid Creole & The Coconuts” again, this time it brought up the band as you’d expect. Not sure what on earth was going on 10 minutes ago, but there you go.

That’s not what I meant.

The search is seriously bad. That’s why I’m subscribed to this thread.

But I never thought of searching this way. The possibility is pretty powerful.

1 Like

If you are just looking for content IN your library, the filter funnel is what you want to use.

Yeah sure, mansplaining the obvious. I’m using Roon since 2017 and a big part of my livelihood is programming software.

But using this on search with combined Qobuz/Tidal results which are not in my library is awesome. Sorry, but this is a great feature in Roon search but I’ll never deny the basic search feature is broken.

This is off-topic, so please don’t reply to this and stay on-topic.

1 Like

Ok everyone… this thread is huge and your reports were massively helpful.

Our CTO (@brian) just posted an explanation of what we did to search and the types of work we have been undertaking for the last year.

I’m going to close this out and I’m happy to create a new thread once you’ve had some time to use the new engine.

Check out his post, as it’ll put things in context and set expectations about where we stand now.

6 Likes