Roon + signature sonore rendu

Hi folks!

I’m working on a Mac. And although I’ve seen some fairly convoluted ways to make ROON work with the SSR, things have been changing so quickly in this area that I wanted to start a new thread to find out if anyone out there has found a straightforward way to use ROON with an SSR (Roon’s not DLNA complient).

For context, my setup is:

1. netgear cable modem to
  2. netgear nighthawk router
  3. Synology DS216j connected via ethernet to the router
  4. SSR also connected via ethernet to the router
  5. SSR output to DAC
  6. DAC to amp

Thanks!

I haven’t found a way to do it. For now…all we can do is wait to see if Roon adds DLNA support.

Ah! Thank you sir.

I’m using Kazoo so far (just set it up and got it working today) with Quobuz.

I appreciate the response, very helpful to me.

JJ

In my opinion it’s unlikely that we will see DLNA support in Roon. Roon is rightly proud of RAAT and the benefits of a Core over the decentralised architecture of DLNA.

The devs would seem to prefer to displace UPnP and DLNA rather than support them.

I’d suggest looking at the microRendu which provides an excellent RAAT capable endpoint to a USB DAC.

1 Like

Is your comment about decentralization valid if you use Roon as the server and controller in combination with a DLNA renderer? It’s going to be very difficult for you to displace UPNP/DLNA in TVs, BluRay player, receivers, network media tanks, Sonos devices, gaming consoles, etc.

I’m just a user so cannot speak for Roon. In fact I think @brian has said “never say never” about DLNA support, but I would regard it as a backward step. I understand RAAT can be implemented by any manufacturers of the devices you refer to.

The main selling point for RAAT’s centralised architecture is that it enables the DAC clock to have control. That is usually the best clock the user will own. Anyone who buys a DAC because of its specs ought to prefer RAAT to DLNA/UPnP. I appreciate that may be a minority of consumers.

All change looks difficult until it happens, but you have far more experience of this market than I, my opinions are just guesses.

You said, “The main selling point for RAAT’s centralised architecture is that it enables the DAC clock to have control. That is usually the best clock the user will own. Anyone who buys a DAC because of its specs ought to prefer RAAT to DLNA/UPnP. I appreciate that may be a minority of consumers.”

Where is the clock when you stream with Roon to an Airplay or SongCast enabled device? These two protocols use the computer’s clock. The microRendu (USB) supports DLNA streams and it supports asynchronous USB audio. In regards too where the clock is with RAAT, DLNA, MPD, SqueezeLite, and NAA on the microRendu it is exactly in the same place. Also, the Signature Series Rendu supports i2s and SPDIF and the DAC can choose to use our master clock or it’s own internal clock. Finally, DLNA receiver modules in devices can accept the data over the network asynchronously (the SSR does) and that would mean that they use their own internal clocks.

RAAT and clock ownership

I’m aware of this. The point was that you can’t really make an argument about RAAT and it’s centralized architecture allowing the DAC to control the clock because Roon already supports protocols that do not follow that approach. The only side affect is that another software has the market share of support for DLNA devices.