Roon SQ Discussion Thread (Abandon hope all Ye who enter ...)

That would be very useful, so put me down as a +1.

I barely have room for the crates my speakers came in, so I donā€™t think that solution is going to work for me. :slight_smile:

BTWā€¦ To the moderator who titled this threadā€¦ It wasnā€™t so bad right?

My experience exactly, especially playing the DSD64 direct: I canā€™t really tell the difference between A+ and HQP. However, with all HQP filters and dithering I tried it is not as goodā€¦ the best so far to my ears is poly-sinc-short + ASDM7 @ DSD256.
Honestly, if I wasnā€™t a tinkerer, I would have abandoned all these experimentsā€¦ but no, Iā€™m getting a new CUDA card to get DSD512 reliably solid.

And I have the cheap iDSD Micro BLā€¦ Mystery.

Hi Miguel

Wonderful system in a beautiful room.
Have you ever considered changing your DAC? In my humble opinion, your DAC is by far the weakest link in your system.
A Lampizator Golden Gate with silver faceplate would even visually be a wonderful match with your legendary Ongaku.
Apart from the glorious sound the GG delivers :wink:

Yes I have. I have a few on my list, but I donā€™t think I will purchase anything I cannot audition in my system. At first sight this leaves Lampizators out. We shall see, I am not in a hurry.

However, let me say that youā€™re underestimating my DAC. Have you listened to it?

ā€œEverybody Digs Bill Evansā€ - rip from the japanese XRCD - magic.

Yes, great recording! :slight_smile:

I was having the same results using an Oppo HA-2SE. I then unchecked ā€œDirectSDMā€ option in the DSD settings and lowered the volume to -7 dB. Now, while Iā€™m getting an improved PCM upsampling to DSD, Iā€™m not quite sure if the PCM to PCM upsampling isnā€™t still better.

If I play DSD material then I check ā€œDirectSDMā€ so I can get passthrough of DSD and it sounds great.

1 Like

DirectSDM checked means that when your input is DSD, it will be untouched. It does nothing when the input is PCM. See the manual.

1 Like

cautiously nods
But you never know ā€¦

1 Like

Only reason is because thereā€™s been very little discussion of sq, but a lot re upsampling preferences. Where BS has been sprouted counter is fruitless.

What are your contenders?
You are located in NYC, correct?
I bet there are dozens of GG owners who could be tempted into visiting you. How often will there be a chance to listen to the Ongaku :heart_eyes:
And I think there is a Lampi distributor for North America who would gladly send you a unit.

Isnā€™t your Meitner a DAC2 with additional internal CD-SACD-Transport?
Then we do have compared it to my Resolution Audio Cantata MC and all 4 of us liked the Cantata MC better by quite a margin.
But already the Lampi Atlantic Plus (with tube recti) was so far and beyond better than the Cantata, that my friend who wanted to buy my Cantata said after 5 minutes that he is sorry and that I should order an Atlantic for him :wink:
So my trusted Cantata remains with me and will source a second system.

Is it really necessary to post so provocative after this thread has been extremely peaceful and cuddly so far?

3 Likes

since you are in NY and have 106db sensitive speakersā€¦ may I suggest you call Don Garber and go have a listen to his Fi 2b preamplifier and 45 (and/or 2A3) mono pair? :wink:

Nothing provocative posted or implied.

The XDS1v2 is a Dac2x with an esoteric transport. Depending on when and with which version you did your comparison, it would vary. I think you get a good idea of the differences in the review of the DA2 on Dagogo. At this level of resolution, some of it is sound signature preference and system matching. My reservation about the GG is that it might be too tubey sounding - I have enough tubes as it is.

How about GG reliability? Iā€™ve read here and there that Lampiā€™s are not the most reliable around, but the numbers are small obvioulsy, so itā€™s hard to assess.

A buddy of mine whoā€™s a reviewer brought in a tiny little flea watt thing and the volume we got out of the AGā€™s was impressive. I think the flea fling is interesting, but when you have an Ongaku right there itā€™s just more funny than it is interesting.

[quote=ā€œmiguelito, post:78, topic:18846ā€]
How about GG reliability? Iā€™ve read here and there that Lampiā€™s are not the most reliable around[/quote]

Based on my experience Iā€™d concur with that sentiment.