Roon-STREAM please

Zeki,

I can understand your frustration mate. Nothing worse than parting with money on equipment and not getting the experience you want.

Hopefully dutch dutch add some additional support soon eh.

I really don’t understand the problem here. If you have no local library and just want to stream. Why do you need roon? Seems you’re frustrated that roon doesn’t offer you something that Already exists elsewhere:

Want to use Qobuz at home, use a device that natively streams Qobuz (any number of dacs and raspberry pi based endpoints these days). Or just use the mobile app and chromecast / airplay to a local device

Want Qobuz on the move… erm…. Use the Qobuz app.

I’m not sure why anyone wanting to purely stream, would waste money on a local server based product that is designed to integrate a local library. The issue here isn’t roons, it’s your choice of an inappropriate product for your needs, and it’s not roons issue to solve that for you.

I for one, use a large local library as well as Qobuz and I find the balance that roon strikes to
Be superb. I see new releases every day and can browse Qobuz from the interface. I can add to library, favourite things and browse as if Qobuz was part of my home collection.

I also find that in combination with roon radio, Qobuz allows me to discover a wealth of music I didn’t even know existed before.

I’m not sure you speak for as many people as you think. Most people don’t even know roon exists and are off happily using the Qobuz / tidal native applications. I mean in reality, most people don’t even know Qobuz exists.

1 Like

The lack of a Qobuz Connect is a problem in instances like this. Before I used Roon I used a Raspberry Pi running Moode Audio as a simple and cheap solution. Still no Qobuz Connect (obviously) but I used Bubble UPnP Android App to control Qobuz.

If you’re not using any of the additional features of Roon and Roon doesn’t make the type of changes that you’ve requested in this thread, then there are alternatives. The biggest plus of a Connect set up (Spotify or Tidal) is that you can use the native app.

To be fair, Roon is providing a particular solution that @Zeki_Mustafa finds very useful (direct link to speakers). Although, as stated above, there are alternative workarounds.

For other streaming-only users, Roon provides many benefits that native apps don’t, e.g. DSP customisable meta data.

But I do tend to agree that one of Roon’s best USPs is the seamless integration between local and streaming libraries.

Definitely on the last part. I tried to explain what Qobuz was to a colleague recently. They said “what, you mean Spotify?”!

2 Likes

This thread has been interesting as I also use Roon to exclusively stream. I have a library of low resolution tracks all purchased through iTunes years ago, but honestly don’t listen much to them when I can now stream in CD quality or better.

Do you need Roon if all you want to do is stream? No. Do you need it to manage a local library? No. Does Roon have features that are attractive to listeners who want to do one or the other, or both? Yes.

I drank the kool-aid years ago and bought a lifetime subscription and a Nucleus. Since then Roon added internet radio which clearly is a nod to users who stream some of their content. Roon obviously recognizes the evolution in how the world consumes content via streaming, and are doing their best to change along with the market. Keeping both “old school” digital music collectors and “new school” streamers only happy is a tall order.

We all find something within Roon we wish was/could be different. Roon at least listens to their customers feedback and seems to be continually working to improve. The fact that they host a forum like this one is all the proof I need that they care.

5 Likes