Roon / streaming simplified

Perhaps the missing piece of info here is: what was the beverage being consumed by you and your mate? Is there a specific beer that improves SQ?

As Uncle Wayne says ā€˜Some are better than othersā€™

But I think heā€™s making a generalisation :grinning:

I have to say, reading John Atkinsonā€™s review threw me for a bit. But then I remembered Sherlock Holmesā€™s adage (as reported by Watson in The Case of the Beryl Coronet):

when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Or, as Atkinson himself put it in another article,

If it sounds good, and measures bad, youā€™re measuring the wrong thing.

In this case, we know two seemingly contradictory things.

1. Listeners report a difference in the sound, with the Jitterbug versus without it.

2. When Atkinson measures the output of the D/A converter, he sees no change in the analog waveforms ā€“ despite hearing a difference!

Since itā€™s not changing the sound coming out of the speakers (#2), but the sound changes, the changes must be coming from somewhere else!

And, as we know from every teen slasher flick ever made, the call is coming from inside the house!

Or, in this case, from the sole change to the system, the Jitterbug itself!

So the Unison bus on Schiitā€™s modius / bifrost 2 and available on some of the higher end gear like the Yggy is supposed to reclock the data stream passing over USB to get rid of some of the jitter. I can say that I like the SQ a great deal on all these items, but what portion to chalk up to reduction in USB dirtiness is hard for a mere mortal like me to say. I tend not to obsess as the folks on Audio Science Review do, and Iā€™m more interested in the impressions of the Super Audio Best Friends crewā€¦ but I just canā€™t hang with either the detailed electronic engineering nor the perceptual engineering. I did find that Iā€™m not a good Head-Fi fanboy however.

Anyhow, check these DACs outā€¦ a Ropieee feeding one of these is a badass transport from a ROCK.

This is the detailed spec on the Unison board, but for $1 less you can get a whole Modius including the board: