Roon, TIDAL and MQA

… and 48/24. Depending on the track.

We’ve relayed the MQA/RoonReady/Bluesound issue to Bluesound and they should be messaging soon

btw, great album :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I read somewhere that speculated the BlueSound DAC may be only a renderer, or whatever the term is, i.e. like the Dragonflys, and need a software decoder to unfold MQA files. Thus it works with their software and TIDAL at present, but not Roon.

So @danny any plan from RoonLabs for soft MQA decoder in Roon to feed MQA renderers ?

And, obviously very big thanks to the team for the excellent (and huge) 1.3 release. Congrats !!!

@volponeMQA decoder needed in Roon.

Perfect ! Thank you

This is from the NAD site on the BluOS card in my M12:

I think my hardware is capable of decoding MQA based on this statement.

@John_Fields – all the BluOS stuff is – did someone say otherwise?

1 Like

Hi Danny: The post above implied that my NAD M12 with BluOS module was not capable of decoding MQA files. I believe it is capable of decoding MQA but it sounds like there is a bug in the BluOS code that is restricting it to 48/24. I opened a ticket with Bluesound to see if I can get a response from them.

As another Bluesound owner commented, we all experienced the full capabilities of Tidal MQA recently and want to fully experience this through Roon if possible. Thanks for making a great product and hopefully this is resolved soon…

1 Like

Here is the reply from NAD/Bluesound -

We are working with Roon to resolve what you have described.
Thank you for your patience.
The fix may come in the form of a Roon update or BluOS update.

1 Like

From Bluesound Discussion Board site admin:

“We are aware of the issue here and have duplicated in our Lab. We are working both entirely and with Roon to find the root cause of the issues and how to continue to deliver the best quality audio experience with Roon users with Bluesound hardware as quickly as possible.”

3 Likes

I do not see a MQA filter under Focus, Roon 1.3 build 196. All the MQA I’ve been playing display - Tidal 48k/24 bit. I expected to see 96k.

MQA decoding is not available in Roon yet and Tidal doesn’t offer metadata to let them know if it’s a MQA file or not until the stream starts.

There is a MQA filter but today it recognizes only local files, not Tidal as @anon94274355 explained. If you don’t see that checkbox under Focus, it’s because you don’t have any such files.

A post was merged into an existing topic: MQA and Bluesound

When will Roon offer the first “unfold” of MQA as currently seen in the Tidal desktop app?

It was suggested that it would be not too long, in a release after 1.3, no promise on dates obviously, patience required, a search of the forum will provide extensive reading to help pass the time.

Cheers

Russ

2 Likes

I was wondering how you choose the MQA master when selecting them to your Tidal favourites, I’ve been going through the spreadsheet of MQA’s and looking for them on the Tidal desktop app, where there are two copies how do you know which is the MQA version. For example Brad Mehidau has six albums doubled up with now indication which is which.
I don’t have an MQA DAC but some people here think they sound better though Roon.

Play the album in the Tidal app in the bottom right it will say master if it is hte MQA file.

1 Like