Roon Upsampling WTH?

Only on a HiFi show, where Buchardt used it to demo their new S400 (which sounded great, and absolutely ridiculous bass for the size of the speakers). Buchardt S400 is one of the options for me with the added benefit of not having to use a subwoofer.

But I haven’t bought the amp yet, will be interesting to see what HiFi & Musik thinks.

PS: sorry for stealing this thread :slight_smile:

This thread is about upsampling to DSD. And your previous question was about upsamling to DSD. My answer.

1 Like

Understood. Thank you!

1 Like

Do the same for all 44.1 (and multiples) kHz files. Same positive response.
96 and 192 are too labour intensive for my little MacMini :frowning:

1 Like

I must ask, as a true technophobe , how do you engage the DSD sampling?
Thanks
MP

Hi Evert, do you mean PCM44kHz files are easier to up-sample to DSD rates than PCM192kHz files, for your Mac Mini?

Edit: Oops sorry, my mistake here. I forgot Roon doesn’t up-sample to DSD x48k base rates the way HQPlayer does.

Hi Michael,

Go to the DSP Engine by right click/long press on the Zone icon. The Sample Rate Conversion page will have options like those below unless Roon can tell that your DAC doesn’t accept DSD:

This KB Article may help.

Nice read, can use some upating @andybob.

1. You use bit-streamed content, like MQA and don’t want to lose the benefits
    Upsampling an MQA stream means it’s not MQA anymore.

(More comprehensive MQA support in Roon is forthcoming. Stay tuned).

1 Like

Sorry I lost the response regarding setting up the DSD upsaming.
Could you resend the response ?
Thanks
MP

@Evert_Smit, @dabassgoesboomboom
It’s strange. My NUC is coping with the task equally well.

1 Like

Your 8th Gen i7 won’t have any problems :wink:

My 2010 iMac i5 also struggles, so it depends on CPU.

Well but why are the processing speeds the same with my NUC, and with the Evert’s Mac mini - obviously different? :frowning:

Good question. We don’t have any numbers from Evert.

@Evert_Smit can you share your signal path with processing rate, like Katun showed, for both 44k and 48k/96k music being upsampled?

1 Like

It does. 192 to say DSD or double DSD works. But my MacMini then shows 0.9x speeds and the sound starts to hick. 176.4 to double DSD works well, see picture.

. I’m not at home, I had this picture. Anyway, upsampling 192 to double DSD is currently too labourintensive.

Here another example: straight from Tidal :slight_smile:

Looking at the achieved speeds (7-11x) and the fact that this MacMini is dedicated to running Roon, I wonder about its inability to do 192 -> d-DSD

1 Like

So it’s a processing rate of over 7x for PCM44 --> DSD128

But a processing rate of max 0.9x for PCM192 --> DSD128

What are the specs of your Mac Mini? Year, model, CPU?

AFAIR Quad Core late 2013.

If you’re getting into DSD up-sampling, take a look at HQ Player from Signalyst as an alternative to Roon. It’s far more sophisticated IMHO (I’ve auditioned both) and that reflects in the sound quality you hear. There’s a free trial (hint: try out the poly-sinc-short-mp and ASDM7 combo) and it works nicely together with Roon (you run it on the same server and its like a black box - set and forget).

Also, there is a generation of DACs coming out which are specifically for use with DSD only. See HoloAudio Cyan for an example.

N

1 Like

I am wrong, sorry. It’s a dual core i5