Roon vs Separate PreAmp

So LA4 has been in place since Thursday. My evaluation (such as it is) follows. But first my biases:

• I really want the LA4 to be great enough for me to keep.
  • I have no way to quickly or blindly switch configurations.
  • I can comfortably afford the LA4.
  • It looks cool.

So here is my unbiased, scientific, purely objective measurement based and as I said before totally scientific review.

I plugged in the LA4 Thursday evening, switched cables (benchmark XLR cables) between the DAC3 and LA4. Put the DAC3 in compatibility mode which forces the volume to 11 on the DAC and provides full signal to the LA4.

Immediately my wife rushed in from mowing the yard and exclaimed OH MY GOD! Kidding.

It sounds great. Really great. I’ve listened the last several days and just now switched back. Maybe I can detect a difference. It seems like I can, but I can’t be sure (see above). I’m listening at a level about 60dB measured with a proper SPL meter, which is a typical listening level for me.

If there is a difference in my system (which is no slouch system) it is not (to my 56 year old ears) dramatic. But I want it so I’m keeping it. There you go.

In all seriousness, I’m back on the LA4 listening to Dire Straits, I think it’s better. But how much would I bet being able to distinguish on a truly blind test? Not much.

9 Likes