Roon Web Controller 2.0.0 ALPHA now available

Hi Thanks.

Sadly after a bit of digging it would appear unraid does not have docker compose so has no idea what I am on about. I have only installed dockers from their app section (such as roon server) but evdiently they are pre built.

Please also note that the docker image is only built for an x86_64 processor, so it is not likely to work on a NAS device.

Please read the README on the docker hub link: Docker Hub

Or the README on the github link: GitHub - pluggemi/roon-web-controller at alpha

Please also note that you will have to specify the IP address of your Roon server and when you do, --net=‘host’ is not required.

Docker compose is not required. This can be run with a standard docker command, as noted in the README.

The image name is:

pluggemi/roon-web-controller:alpha

Is there a way already to install Roon Web Controller 2.0.0 with the Roon Extension Manager?

The installation of Roon Web Controller 2.0.0 was easier than I thought on my Synology Diskstation. I just downloaded the docker image “pluggemi-roon-web-controller1” within the Synology Docker on my Diskstation (Docker → Registry → Insert Keywords → “pluggemi” → download → launch). In “Details” → “Portsettings” → “Local Port” you see the port the image is using for the browser. In my case 49153.
Really great job Mike!

1. The docker image runs really smooth. Now for 15 days without any issue. In comparison the “Roon-extension-manager” restarts unexpectedly at least once a day.
  2. I love the new touch concept, much better than the old to use on my raspberry with small touch displays (2.8’’ and 4.0’’) .

The only two wish I have are:

1. that the settings will be stored in future. Every time I reboot the raspberry the settings are back to default.
  2. A screensaver (when nothing is playing) that displays the clock, so that my raspberry displays are looking like a clock, when nothing is playing.

Again an amazing job, please go on!

Is the project “Roon Web Controller 2.0.0 Alpha” dead?

First announcement here in the forum was June 2020, last answer from Mike Plugge was March 2021. Last change on Github was September 2020.
Really a pity, that nothing seems to move forward. I really was looking forward to the Roon Web Controller 2.0.0 Betta release :frowning:

Yes, the project is effectively dead. Both the beta and the previous release.

Between a new job with long hours, lots of house maintenance, and life in general, I haven’t had time to look at the code for months. And quite frankly, I no longer have the desire to work on it.

Anyone is free to pick up where I left off. The backend code in particular is nearly production ready.

6 Likes

Hi @Mike_Plugge,

Thanks for making clear that the Web Controller is no longer maintained. It is really a pity that this happens to such a popular extension, but a big thanks for providing it in the first place (still using 1.2 on a daily basis :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Thanks for the work you’ve done on the plug-in Mike, I’m enjoying it every day!

2 Likes

I am glad to hear from you and I am happy that your health is not the reason for your absence.
Nevertheless, it is an extreme pity that you stopped the development. I was looking forward to the new release, the 2.0.0 alpha I tested is unbelievable much better than the 1.2.0 version.
Can you give us a rough estimation, how many development hours are still missing to get to final 2.0.0?

Also many thanks from me for the plugin, Mike. Using the 2.0.0 alpha version every day.

Hoping there is a person who can take over your work. My programming skills are to little, I am afraid…

Too bad that Mike_Plugge stopped development shortly before completion. I use Roon Web Controller 2.0.0. ALPHA almost daily and it is really great!
The only thing I miss is that the settings (e.g. last selected zone) are not saved and you have to click through them again and again, when you open the link.
I hope that someone continues with the development. That would be really great! I would very much welcome and support also financially.

It is really a pity that the project has been discontinued. I find it very helpful to see directly at my active speakers (1) what is played (2) to make simple changes. And not having to search for my iPhone or iPad every time.
I use several Raspberry Pi’s with 4’’ touch displays. I start the Chromium browser in kiosk mode. I found out that you can jump directly to the right page with “192.168.xxx.yyy:8080/#/touchscreen/now_playing”.

Questions:
(1) What command (Java?), can I use to select the zone automatically? So that I don’t have to select the zone by manual touch every time I start my Raspberry Pi?
(2) Unfortunately the browser does not remember the last settings. Or is there a way to save the browser settings and recall them when restarting the Raspberry?

It’s such a pity. I am writing this not only on my behalf, but also for the blind people who love music, who will probably be unable to use Roon even in the reduced version that the Web Controller gave. Like everyone else, I hope someone will take over the development of the add-on and we can enjoy it.

Gosh, it’s odd reading all this as someone who has been involved indirectly (Not as a dev) with a few OS projects, including a few that are going strong and a few that died of natural causes. Not that I don’t feel for folks who wish this was an active project, but I get the sense that folks don’t understand how open source development works. If someone with the capabilities to do so wanted to take over the project, they would. Bemoaning the fact that no one has is not going to get Mike to do so, and almost certainly won’t get someone else to sign up for it . He’s busy, with other good things in his life. The world and GitHub are littered with great and useful projects that are orphaned or abandoned because they weren’t useful up enough people who wanted to donate their time. If you want this project to be alive, your best bet is to openly canvass for volunteers in the general forum, or to specifically reach out to those who you think might have the skills. Being sad will not bring it back.

Merry Xmas all

4 Likes

Hi all,

I am trying to install the alpha version on a RPI4B with Diet, but am running into the following issue.
After entering “git checkout alpha”, the following error message pops up:
“error: pathspec ‘alpha’ did not match any file(s) known to git”.
Any idea what the issue might be?

Many thanks.

If you have a recent version of git then git switch alpha should get the job done. You’re checking out a remote branch.

Issuing git fetch origin first might help also, just to ensure you have all the branch info from the remote.

Many thanks for your help.
Now I am seeing “fatal: invalid reference: alpha”. Hmm.

git status

And paste your output. If you want help here do PM me and we can continue on our own thread.

Why is this app still in alpha status?

This post

3 Likes