I know that it appears that there have been very few updates lately for Roon Web Controller, but I can assure you, it is not forgotten. It was a very busy summer so I was not able to do much with it, but things are settling down and I am starting work on a complete re-write.
This is where I need your help. I am trying to identify use cases that may affect development.
So how do you use the Roon Web Controller extension?
This is what I already know about - can you confirm that these are still valid? Anything that I am not mentioning?
- Raspberry Pi touch screen
- A small “Now Playing” screen or mini player on a desktop using something like Fluid (Mac OS), Nativifier, Electron, QT Webengine
- Older tablet that is too old to run the official client - like early generation iPads - What version of IOS are you running? Is IOS 9 still the norm?
I will likely use this as a chance to upgrade the requirement for Nodejs. Currently, this app is written to be compatible with Nodejs 6 LTS (Boron). But Nodejs 6 is scheduled to go end of life in April 2019. Nodejs 8 LTS (Carbon) is going end of life in December of 2019. So I would really like to make Nodejs 10 LTS (Dubnium) a requirement to be able to support possible inclusion of some HTTP/2 features. Is this going to be a problem for your use case?
I am considering the following new features - but this is by no means locked in:
- Keeping all of the current features
- Multitouch gestures
- Keyboard shortcuts - will likely use the Kodi key mapping to enable this app to be used as a TV interface
- Better support for on screen keyboards for the Library
- Possible play queue management - still need to dive into that new part of the API
Is there anything that you are looking for that you would like me to consider?