rooPlay - From LP, CD and iPhone to Roon

@DrCWO another question for you. If your ADI-2/4 was “Roon Ready” and could attenuate with “device volume” — Would you still prefer the roon DSP volume? At a minimum, you don’t have to look at that green dot in the path. :laughing:

The volume knob of the ADI-2 changes volume digitally via DSP inside the ADI-2. So technically this is no difference to Roon DSP volume.

But to prevent the green dot I would use it if available :wink:

Best DrCWO

3 Likes

Hello,
I have rooextend running but I can’t find out how to enable rooDial ? It doesn’t show up in the extension list.
Is there something special to do to activate it ?

Change “Controller selection” from rooNuimo to RooDial. Also make sure to add the license after…

Sorry, I wanted to say RooPlay, not roodial !
So my problem is that I can’t see rooPlay in the services list.
How can I enable it ?

If rooPlay is not shown in the License Manager you probably run a Pi Zero W, a Pi A or a Pi B. With all other Pis it should be displayed in the License Manager.

Please take a loot at the Compatibility Chart in the Quick Installation Guide in my download area.

Best DrCWO

It’s a Pi4 Model B, so it should work isn’t it ?
I will upgrade to latest version of RooExtend to see if it changes seomething.

2 Likes

Yrs, great device, best you can get :+1:

Dear DrCWO,
I am already using RooExtend with rooWatch and rooHead on a first Pi4 Model 4 that serves also as Roon endpoint.

I now installed a second Pi4 Model B with RooExtend and rooPlay. Indeed a great software solution that substantially enhances the usability of Roon!

Concerning Airplay I assume that indeed Airplay (1) is supported when streaming from an iOS device, not Airplay 2, so that real 44,1kH /16Bit is supported, without lossy compression as would be the case with Airplay 2.

I have ordered a Pro-Ject AD Box S2 Phono that was still on sale surprisingly, that supports up to 48kHz/16Bit and that supports MM and MC cartridges and has a second line input.

I will report whether this device works flawlessly with rooExtend.

One question concerning the future use for digitizing some old LPs: How should I adjust the gain level of the analog signal that reaches the internal ADC? More precisely: How can I find the correct gain level? It would be nice if rooPlay provided some kind of “VU meters” that allowed a correct leveling.

Best, OW

PS: Unfortunately, this Pro-Ject device was not available anymore.

Hi @Otto_Wilhelm,
rooPlay implements 44/16 on the apple side, so bit perfect.

Many A/D converters have a LED or a display to show overload of the signal. Seems the Pro-Ject AD Box S2 Phono don’t have such an indicator.
Until now I never thought about that as my ADI-2/4 has a display. So you are right, there should be something to display incoming volume. I put it on my list of features to implement. It youd be nice to show a VU-meter but the Roon-API does not allow that. I will see what can be done…

In-between I would increase volume until I get audible distortion and then turn left the volume knob a bit :wink:

Best DrCWO

Hi DrCWO,

Thank you for considering to add VU-meters or the like. If this cannot be done in the Roon UI, it would suffice to have a VU-meter or some other kind of overload indicator in the web page of the rooExtend device, i.e. the web page that includes the copyright information and so forth.
I think that many ADCs do not have such VU-meters or similar since the recording software running on a PC or Mac, like Audacity and so forth, provides the necessary leveling and overload information.

Best, OW

1 Like

Hello,

I’ve received apple super drive and plugged it into my Pi 4 model B.
Each time I inser a CD, rooExtend seems to restart :

• Services disappear from roon extension area
  • Nuimo has a bluetooth symbol blinking

Impossible to play a CD.

After a while, services come back in roon. If I insert the CD in drive : same issue. Again.
In the log : ***** rooExtend got unpaired by CORE appears.

What happens ? Maybe the power supply (official raspberry power supply) is too weak ?

Here is the log : Dropbox - rooExtend - System Log 2.pdf - Simplify your life

@DrCWO recommended I use an externally powered USB port extender to resolve similar issues… The one he suggested (in the documentation) works with rooControl but was not on Amazon anymore. I found something similar and my CD issues resolved. rooControl was not a thing I thought I woudl use at the time, now I wish my device supported it.

Thanks for sharing. However I think this is a software issue.I talked with DrCWO and he was able to reproduce the problem on his system.
Maybe a software regression in latests update ?
I hope we’ll soon have a fix.

Will do my best the next few days :+1:
On Sunday I have to start travelling to meet one of the Roon guys at ATR, which is the company selling the rooExtend-Box and the Nucleus.

Best DrCWO

Hi, CW.

Someone on the Roon Forum suggested “rooPlay” to me.

I want to play my LPs through Roon (to take advantage of Roon’s convolution capabilities) but I do not have a Rasberry Pi running Roon. Instead, I have a Windows 10 PC.

Does this mean that I can’t use ‘rooPlay’?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
you either get a Radpberry Pi or if you don‘t like tinkering you can get the rooExtend- Box.

As I am a one man company am am not able to offer rooExtend on other platforms :sleepy:

Please also visit http://diy.rooExtend.com to find informations how easy it is to use the Raspberry Pi.

For further questions feel free to contact me again.

Best DrCWO

@DrCWO, I’ve been really enjoying this plug-in and being able apply convolution filters. I understand the RME ADI-2 Pro can do A/D in DSD and am wondering if that will ever be possible though rooPlay?

Is there any development in shortening the delay in the playback of rooPlay. Would be nice if the delay was only couple of ms is stead of the 10sec it now is…. Still enjoy rooPlay though!

RME ADI-2 and also the pro models support DSD playback and it nicely works with the rooExtend SD-Card-Image and the included Roon Bridge. I just set it up running here in my study.
In the Device Settings in Roon you have to select DoP which encapsulated the DSD stream in a PCM frame.

Using this gives no degradation in the Sound quality at all. Only the package format is different in which the DSD data gets transported.

This gives you a signal path like this:

At the analog output of the ADI-2 you get the pure DSD signal.

Using this you cannot change volume of the main analog output of the ADI-2 nor insert any DSP on the Roon side. Using any DSP it Roon, Roon has to convert the DSD to PCM first before being able to add DSP filtering. Adding DSP volume for example you will get a Signal Path like this:

This is just how DSD works. You only can get the 1:1 anlog output with DSD.

Personally I don’t care about converting DSD to PCM. Here I posted a scientiffic paper regarding sound quality difference.

In my personal opinion, DSD was made for copy protection and to create a marketing hype to resell 44/16 CDs you already have. It was not made to sound better than what you get with high-resolution PCM (176/24).

Best DrCWO