Ropieee boot time 4,5 minutes —> cause: waiting for ntp synchronization —> how to speed up boot time?

So @Jim_Henderson

I’ve uploaded a new beta build. If you’re up to it you could try that one out. I’m very curious at the feedback.

Anyways, if you want to test this, change the release channel to ‘beta’ (you can do that on the ‘advanced’ tab). Save, configure, reboot and wait until you get the update notification. Install the update, reboot again and send me feedback.

Thanks!

Sync over https does not work for me using ropieee_ose_pi4-2022.6.4-stable.20220720.458.bin or ropieeexl_ose_pi4-2022.6.4-stable.20220720.459.bin. Time fetch via NTP fails within seconds and is reported in the log. Syncing via https never reports success. I suspect it times-out, then RoPieee becomes active ~ 5 minutes after cold start.

It is possible that my OpnSense router is somehow misconfigured, but I have tried all manner of port forwarding suggestions on the web, but none of these experiments have affected the RoPieee boot time.

On a distantly related note, I installed the DietPi Allo image DietPi_RPi-ARMv7-Bullseye_AlloGUI.img which offers similar functionality and it boots in 30 seconds on a Pi4. I prefer the RoPieeeXL image, since it drives 7" PI displays nicely and is more stable.

I will attempt to update to the beta image and report results asap.

UPDATE: Using RoPieeeXL 2022.06.4 (0505)/5.15.56-SPCKFSH-v8+, a PI4 now boots in 49 seconds. NTP time sync still fails, but HTTPS sync now succeeds rapidly, as shown in the log image below. I’d call this a win. Thank you for your prompt and expert support.

2 Likes

How are you getting this displayed on such a large screen?

Just plugged the PI4 into a desktop display via miniDP to HDMI cable:

Ah ok so the normal boot up only not the ropieee what’s playing display

That’s right - the normal boot log.

I’ve seen the Advanced button to send log info to the developer, but other than plugging a display into the HDMI port, RoPieee doesn’t seem to provide a means of showing the log or Linux DMESG output to the user.

I had the same issue caused by a weak WiFi signal. Solved it by upgrading to a WiFi mesh system. Now the ntp synchronization is almost instantaneous. You are using a wired connection. There must be something wrong with your network infrastructure.