Same old Roon under the hood?

I’ve got a MacOS bug thats there since 2013 I think, every new version ships with the bug.

What basic functionality?

Read my bug reports And others. not getting into auto-repeat here.

Went through a lot of your posts, but apart from iOS issues (which i’m also experiencing, see my issues) I don’t see a lot of basic functionality you’ve got issues with… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Sooo… glass half empty type personality?

Ah you scratched on some suface of this weeks post! Wow, deep research!

1 Like

Oh my god, you’re right! I feel sorry for the Roon team.

Pfff I’m out of here!

1 Like

I always chuckle when i see this or hear someone say this glass 1/2 empty 1/2 full phase…

I say it’s the wrong size glass. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I say the buggers didn’t even give me a glass!

2 Likes

Ged mate.

You’ve been drinkin here all night and you heard the call for last drinks.

Time to call an Uber champ…

:smile:

2 Likes

I’m stealing that.

why you would prevent the CPU from throttling? It isn’t a comparable behaviour to connected standby

Many believe it sounds better to keep the CPU frequency non changing.

Dear lord.

2 Likes

Ged, keep an open mind. It costs nothing to try it. I find my Core is more stable vs. having SpeedStep enabled. I hear no difference in the sound though. I run on an old 2014 Dell PC that otherwise works fine.

I also have a scheduled shutdown and startup daily simply to reduce power usage and restarting Core prevents many issues.

It’s more reliable if you don’t stop and start for the components. My listening environments are noisier than any perceived difference in processor state so it’s not relevant to me. And paint me blue and call me sceptical but processor speed versus sound just has the whiff of Gwyneth Paltrow about it.

8 Likes

Sounds much better if you upsample to 1.21 Gwatts though.

Not to undermine your statement, but to inform the Product dept (or equivalent at Roon): I experience none of these issues. Roon works every day serving a (small <6) number of endpoints with none of the problems that plague James. Core runs on an older MacMini, hard drives with music files connected to the same, never a problem, works as advertised. That said, we leave no man behind, and one (James) user with problems means everyone has a problem of sorts.

4 Likes

Hi Christian - I certainly appreciate not being left behind!

Here’s a question: do you use Roon’s Tags and if so, how do you use them? For example, will you Tag a large number of objects and then focus on the Tag then shuffle it? Do you Tag artists and then play tracks from those Tagged artists directly?

As a related point, while I haven’t had much time to confirm this, it seems a little better the last few days, and I have also noticed that now when you Shuffle a Tag you actually get the whole queue loaded up in advance - no more playing a track with “next up” as the only thing you can see.

I wonder if these two points are related - i.e. instead of constant tag queries to play the next track, Roon is front-loading the query by loading up the entire queue.

Anyone seeing this?

@danny said “most would be triggered by a misbehaving network”, not all…

I use tags like we used to use playlists on iTunes, but only for albums (individual songs are still going into a ‘playlist’). To illustrate: Latin Jazz albums are tagged as such. Party albums, favorite Jazz, Great Sound, etc all get tagged that way. Double purpose: find and play individual albums like in the old LP days (by genre), and shuffle amongst different albums across one “genre”. Also you can tag an album multiple ways, which is of course practical.
Thank you for the idea of tagging artists, it never occurred to me (though they are ultimately tagged by their genre, Fado singers tagged under Fado, Opera, Female vocalist, etc). Also getting used to the Bookmark function, which provides another way to sort through things.
I am sorry I can’t help with the technical problems, mostly because I can’t troubleshoot something I am not experiencing. I am always bewildered when I hear users experiencing problems, as Roon must be one of the very few applications that never gave me a single problem (been using Macs since 1984, so … lots of apps under this bridge :). Knock on wood, but whatever I try to do, it essentially works. Not saying it’s perfect, and not saying that the suite of features is complete, but that’s somewhat logical, as they cannot boil the ocean. Anyway, I am digressing. Take care.