Same Songs - What Identifies It?

They should be identified by being known as a performance of the same composition. If you look into the three-dot menu of a track that is correctly identified, you will find a “Go to Composition” entry (where all known performances will be listed). But if you look into the menu of a track that isn’t, like “Brown-eyed woman”, it will probably not be there.

There are apparently two causes for this:

1. The track needs a composer credit. If it doesn’t have a composer, it is not identified as a composition.
  2. There seems to be a bug (or more than one, probably) that has been plaguing us for years, which results in the composition property not being applied even if the composer credit exists.

This second issue has been mysterious for years. Luckily, I have recently finally been able to make some inroads with the help of Joel from RoonLabs, who has identified one bug and fixed it recently, which resulted in some tracks being identified that haven’t been before.

However, it didn’t help with all instances of the issue, so there seem to be additional bugs. You can find my bug report with an example (most of which has been fixed) in the thread linked below. There, you will also find links to older discussions and instances of the problem. Joel has said that he will continue working on this, and I will provide additional examples for this as soon as a I find time. (Plus, I have been waiting for the new metadata after the first fix to be applied to my library - which seems to have happened by now, so next weekend I’ll have more to report).

I guess Joel will want to learn about your example as well. But first make sure that (1) your tracks have a composer credit, and it’s not just caused by missing this, and (2) the “Go to Composition” menu entry is really missing.

2 Likes