Save me a week of Roon research and answer my 14 questions?

I forgot to add “nor” as in “no DAC nor buttons needed”. I’m guessing the Pi route is the way to go.

If you mix AirPlay, Chromecast and Roon endpoints they cannot be grouped together. Ideally you want them all to be Roon ready devices, then they can be grouped, and will play in sync. in nearly all circumstances.

My mish mosh is going to take a lot of work. As is stands today all I have is a Squeezebox Touch, a MacBook connected to a Topping D10 DAC, and an AirPort Express. I don’t think those can exist in the same group if I’m understanding you correctly.

Let your Anthem receiver or amp handle the room correction. Roon is only one source. Your Anthem device will handle room correction for all sources that play through it.

Golden rule for room correction is: work back from the room! First change what you can in the room, then work on speaker placement, then apply room correction at amplifier level or if you want to go old school, put in a graphic equalizer.

Room correction at source level is a cart before the horse situation.

1 Like
  1. Can I use my Anthem Room Correction kit for configuring room correction with Roon?

Let your Anthem receiver or amp handle the room correction. Roon is only one source. Your Anthem device will handle room correction for all sources that play through it.

Ah definitely for the Anthem I will. I was unclear, as I was referring to the other endpoints. I meant can I use the kit (the mic) with REW on my Mac. I think I can.

Hi,

Just to add to all the responses to question 1.

One option to consider is loading Ubuntu onto the Mac, I recently repurposed a MacBook Air 2014 for use as a dedicated Roon Core machine, it has been running really well with the lid closed in pretty warm conditions here. I run it with an Ethernet adapter and USB drive for music storage.

I have only had to connect to load extensions so far. For that I use SSH.

That’s correct, different types of ‘endpoint’ can run from the same Core, but not simultaneously in a group. You could just stick either an AirPort Express or a Chromecast Audio in front of every device you want to play to, or just get ‘proper’ Roon endpoint devices for all of them.

I’ve even installed ROCK on a macmini but had to use a usb Ethernet connection.
Running a MacBook closed can be a heat up issue on certain models that used the keyboard to provide additional vent area around the keys

Macmini with clean OSX or macOS install is ideal for most

Me to Rune, I moved to roon because its what itunes/airplay should have become over the last 12 years or so. I’m posting a screen shout below to explain RAAT / Airplay and Airplay 2 and how they can be grouped. The airport express is the early wall wart version about 12 years old.

The top 4 are roon ready devices and can all be grouped together using RAAT.

The bottom 5 are the old airport express two air play amps and two airplay2 speakers, all these can be grouped together in roon as airplay devices.

You’ll notice the Bluesound speakers appear in both groups as roon can stream to them using either method.

James

1. I would look into building a cheap PC with a low power motherboard and old spares. You could get a Roon machine for 200 €, depending what you have as leftovers. The will do fine except for DSP stuff. Doing DSP stuff on a general purpose CPU is a bit a waste of money anyway, there are better and cheaper solutions. And then build that PC or laptop somewhere nicely into your system and use Hdmi or Spdif to connect into your receiver or else. I understand that that has a digital input.

-10- Is that DRC build into your receiver? Then you just have to make sure that you have a digital stream going into that receiver. (See 5). I am inferring that you want to improve on the receiver’s DAC but keep the DRC, that might not work.

Full DRC on Rasp, post #10

1 Like

Much appreciated! A picture is worth a thousand words. Roon’s groupings seems a bit odd, as it sounds like Chromecast’s and Squeezebox’s would be in a different Roon-tested group. I have a few of the wall wart AirPort Expresses too and will use Ethernet for those ones until I get Pi transports rigged up.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.