Security with Roon ARC / Roon 2.0

Just seen your internet security service is McAfee. Hmm, possible wrongly identifying traffic from Roon, Room Arc or your Arc app on your phone.

I think you’ll be fine sticking with Roon. Don’t sell the Nucleus.

As @Carl suggests make sure you pop 0 in the Arc settings tab in Roon.

I’ve had no security risks identified to me. I’m on a Unifi network and I get notified if there’s any issue.

1 Like

Thanks for your help Lewis! Much appreciated.

1 Like

Interesting. I recently deleted the ARC app and changed the port setting in Roon to 0 (zero). I just checked it, and sure enough Roon changed it to something else. So it appears setting the port to zero isn’t a workable solution.

Edit: I tried setting the port to zero again, and it will not stick.

That does not work. As soon as you leave Roon then go back in, Roon resets the port number to something else.

1 Like

Hi I’ve just double checked it, …

When you exit settings, say to albums view, and then go back in to settings… then 0 is displayed.

However, exiting the Roon remote (in my case an iPad) and then going back … I can see that port 55xxx is suggested.

However, look at the top section of the screen (as highlighted in red by me), Roon is still reporting that ARC can not connect and tapping the re-test icon confirms it still can not connect.

I suspect the 55xxx is a UI bug.
I’ll raise this with Roon’s @support team.

———

To re-enable ARC I had to press the reset icon, the Roon sends the post forwarding request, retests and displays the outcome.

2 Likes

I see the same behavior. I also get the same message, but I assumed it was because I turned off UPnP and deleted the port fowarding rule in my router.

Could someone clarify please…
I have ARC working via a Wireguard VPN and so far seems OK. However, I’ve seen posts on the forum suggesting this wont work in a reliable manner (that’s my interpretation) because Roon’s servers (in the Google’s Cloud AFAIK) need to communicate to my Roon Core for ARC to work correctly. Maybe I have misunderstood but many people seem to also be saying ARC works over VPN OK and I’m assuming they dont have any Roon server addresses configured. I appreciate this isn’t a supported solution.

Thanks

Hi Michael
I use ARC with TailScale and that works perfectly, so I see not issue with your solution.
If anything it is more reliable with TailScale than without and I have been playing music from the office all day today.

1 Like

FWIW

@Michael-W I found Wireguard to be more stable than Tailscale in my use case.

I also have a Unifi network with built in VPN capabilities.

YMMV in which VPN you chose.

If Wireguard is stable and reliable, stick with it.

Enjoy Arc

Also, via Wireguard (I did) allows acces to your core.

1 Like