Seeking recommendations for initial ripping of CD library

Is there a reason I’m missing that folks don’t just use windows media player to rip? It’ll rip FLAC and ALAC, it categorizes files properly and it provides accurate tags. It can also be automated to rip as soon as you insert a disc and will pop a disk out when it’s done. I just feed it discs throughout my listening day and they rip pretty quickly and are immediately added into my Roon library.

People use dBPowerAmp for the Accurip feature, this analyses YOUR actual rip and compares it with a database of stored rips by other people. That way it can confirm that your rip is GOOD ie within limits of other typical rips.

Peace of mind :pensive:

1 Like

Ah, I see. Personally I’m just savage enough to rely on my ears for that, and I tend not to rip discs that are in poor shape. There’s plenty of my library that lossless is already overkill as it was probably recorded by junkies in a closet booth with pawn shop equipment to begin with lol. Anything I feel a need to have in immaculate lossless I would rather just purchase digitally.

Hi! What do you use to mirror your NAS folder to the internal storage of your Nucleus+? Do you do it manually or do you have an app in your NAS that does it automatically? Thanks in advance.

Arthur I use rsync. I ssh into my trueness box and sync across to my library folder and a couple of remote backups.

1 Like

As previously mentioned, dbPoweramp is excellent and gives good accuracy and tagging.

Also, continuous ripping over several days/weeks is hard on a CD drive. I wore out my PC’s internal drive. Consider an external USB drive. You can get an LG for about $20 which is practically disposable costwise. No need to worry about errors if you use dbPoweramp.

Finally, keep at least one local backup copy PLUS a cloud backup as previously mentioned. (P.S. RAID is not backup, as also previously mentioned.) I use Backblaze, $70 annually for unlimited for one computer. (If you want to backup stuff from another computer, copy it to a folder on the Backblaze connected computer.)

My 2 cents, FWIW.

@SKBubba Is that if it is mirrored on the computer though? Or has this changed?

I don’t have a NAS as such but I have a desktop with 4x 4Tb HDD , much the same .

I have a MusicLibrary drive which I mirror to my NUC SSD .

I use SyncBack Pro. It seems to keep everything in sync

1 Like

i use fairstars cd ripper…

It’s for backup of everything/anything from one PC to their cloud.

1 Like

mp3tag is extremely useful in organizing your ripped files…even if they are flacs

2 Likes

Understood, but it used to be that the “unlimited” required the original source file to still exist, 30 days later it would be removed from their cloud if it no longer existed at the source location. Maybe as low as 15 days. Can’t remember tbh.

1 Like

I used Carbon Copy Cloner from my Mac to sync from the NAS to the Nucleus. This ensures I have an exact copy on the Nucleus. I run it manually whenever I add files to the NAS. I can also use the option to find and replace corrupted files, which takes a long time to process, I’ve only done it a few times and it has not yet found an issue.

2 Likes

Ah, now I understand the question. They have added longer retention of deleted files for an extra fee. Still pretty reasonable, but I don’t use it.

It’s a great piece of software but technically it’s not free, it’s donationware. I’ve sent the developer $ a few times to help them keep the lights on.

XLD supports CDParanoia for ripping which can help improve accuracy.

2 Likes

I gravitated to dbPoweramp mid-way through the process of ripping my collection and it sped things up nicely. After the files are ripped, I use mp3tag to review and finalize the metadata and add pictures if needed.

It should go without saying that you should rip to a lossless format. The cost advantages from saving space will disappear in a couple of years as disk prices drop and for sure you won’t want to go through the ripping process twice. I got started with Windows lossless years ago, and I still use that as my data of record, but I use the dbPoweramp Batch Converter to generate FLAC files for Roon. I also copy my ripped files into iTunes, which performs the conversion to ALAC automatically. If I were starting out again, I’d rip to FLAC (and some day, I’ll probably make the switch - it should be easy).

Do maintain backups (including offline backups). Once, I installed Windows Media Player and was horrified when it ‘helpfully’ began to rewrite all my metadata, which I had carefully gotten to where I wanted it. I was mindful about preventing that sort of thing from happening, but that one slipped through, and that’s all it takes. I had backups, though, so I was fine.

1 Like

Oh, yes. Me too! Grateful for all the work.

Also using dbpoweramp to rip a CD collection (FLAC) to a laptop and then drag and drop onto an HDD installed in a Nucleus+. About 5K discs ripped thus far with only minor issues (e.g. obscure CDs w/o metadata sometimes not found in the databases dbpoweramp accesses or Roon having problems logging some multi-disc collections accurately). Whole process could hardly be easier.

–Kevin

2 Likes

Thanks! I will try it out.

i use DPPOWERAMP to rip my cds locally and then i run them through musicbrianz picard to get all the correct tagging. i also keep tagscanner on my pc incase i need to mass edit a tag. example would be a band like HED PE. there are multiple variations of the band name across their discography that pulls through the programs. after i have the full discog, i use tag scanner to relabel the band to one version. while you ultimately can change info within roon, that does not pull to the file so you really are going to want to have all the tagging correct from the very beginning should you end up using your files with something other than Roon.

2 Likes