Server Sleep and Wake on LAN

Hi Danny
Bear in mind that many here will be dedicating a Macmini or NUC to the job of a Roon Server at home…and then many leave home early in the am and return late in the pm to play maybe an hour or two of music after some family time…I think the above is reasonably typical behaviour for many

As such, many would set up their machines to Sleep after a period of inactivity of 30 minutes to one hour…so IMHO, there’s no need for Roon to become involved in sending the Server to sleep…as that will be set up by the user in the power settings

So coming back to a “typical” usage scenario…the user enters the listening room…picks up the Roon Tablet [or Phone]…and by opening / starting the Roon app, a WOL command gets sent to the Server to wake-up, thereby making the Roon Server app also become active…enabling the Server to ‘serve’ the Roon UI and Album browser etc. to the Remote app

The user chooses his music and the Server serves it to the endpoint

WOL is possible over Cabled Ethernet and not Wifi I believe…i.e. the Server has to be connected by cable, while the Remote can be wifi

The Roon Remote knows the IP Address of the Roon Server…and simply sends a WOL to that machine only

Does that give you enough info to go on?? If not, let me know and I will try and elaborate

Cheers

2 Likes