Should we be putting our foot down with Tidal or Roon's implementation of it?

What about music created in the moment that does not (and never will) exist on a commercial recording? If that makes me a jazz snob, so be it.

I think you have missed the point of live music entirely.

2 Likes

Nah, I probably have not missed the point. As I said, a lot of live amplified music just is not very enjoyable compared to recordings of the same. So, maybe that music has missed my point.

AJ

1 Like

But it’s not supposed to be like the recording. Black Sabbath needs to be heard at ear bleeding volume with bass bins making your diaphragm vibrate to make sense.
If it’s like the recording, say like the Jeff Lynne ELO tour then it’s boring and then there is no point going.

Right or wrong, I just hope people realize when they sound just like their parents.

5 Likes

Fixed your quote for you.

AJ

If you really believe that I feel sorry for you

1 Like

Get over the sound quality thing and listen to music.

3 Likes

There are limits. Went to a Gov’t Mule gig in some horrendously overcrowded venue in Zurich a few years back, it sounded absolutely horrendous standing at the back. I mean really horrible, so much so that we all agreed (all 6 of us or so who went, and I was the only one you could even remotely say was an “audiophile”) that is was better we just stand outside and drink a couple of bevvies on the pavement as there was a pub next door. Very sad and truly atrocious sound.

So then, just like their CDs?

Agree with you James, if Im understanding correctly. You basically want to be flagged as to any removals of stuff by Tidal, from Tidal which you’ve favourited your side?

If that’s the case, then it’s a good request and a logical one. Then with such flags we can patch up gaps in our collection by streaming from another service or buying the albums which have gone.

Another gripe with these streamers is when you add an album then find out half the tracks are missing/greyed out… grrrr!!! And another one is the fact that they have duplicate albums (sometimes 3, 4, 5 copies) and no differentiation as to why or what any differences are, even if you open the albums and look at the tracks they are often apparently identical! Grrrr#2!!!

Hahah… EVEN worse that that, so you can imagine how bad it was :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me a streaming service offers little value over purchasing the best CD available into my collection. This since too often i found out that the best CD are not available in Tidal nor Spotify, this development is sad because nowadays it also difficult to buy a CD, since CD stores are out of business. Overall a sad development for us music lovers, leaving the crowd to only enjoy cheap mainstream music from the streaming services that randomly disappears.

Oxymoron much?

Nothing of the sort though is it.

I agree, much of my favourite catalogue is unavailable on streaming. Also very annoying is when you open up an album in streaming and it’s actually not available, or only a few tracks. What frustrating trickery is that??

Im using an unlimited Dropbox account to upload all my music to the cloud now and play from there. I may well just forget completely streaming services such as Tidal or Qobuz.

How much utility you get from a streaming service depends on how much you want to explore outside of your musical comfort zone.

The old fashioned method method of taking a punt on buying a CD unheard, meant you kissed a lot of frogs. I’ve got some very expensive howlers in my library from the pre-streaming days and I certainly wouldn’t want to go back to that.

I’ll still buy a vinyl copy of a record I particularly like but as a discovery tool streaming is freaking awesome and Tidal’s library integration with Roon is my #1 USP.

5 Likes

I think it is best to use Tidal to explore music from different artists or deeper catalog of artists you know already. If I end up really loving something new, I seek a download or CD (or vinyl) copy to own, where I control it. What Tidal allows me to do is go listen to "related artists, or other artists mentioned in the biographies supplied for the album I am listening to. I have discovered several artists and albums this way which I later bought. Others, I’m glad I didn’t spend money on their album. If I own it, it does not go away. So there is still value on owning music (rights).

Really?:grinning:
Shall I give you my PayPal address so you can show me how sorry you feel with $$

Qobuz will be launching soon and hopefully Roon will be integrating. As I understand it, the top tier subscription will allow for not only streaming Hi-Res, but you can also buy, download, and keep forever the albums that you love.