Should we be putting our foot down with Tidal or Roon's implementation of it?

+1
The sync housekeeping process should report this.
I’d suggest via a “Roon Message” [little flashing envelope maybe?] so the user can review at their leisure.

2 Likes

I have been noticing this more and more lately. I should keep a list just to see if we can quantify the issue.

This isn’t an attack on Roon or the streaming services. No need to say they all do it so live with it. The point is, if Roon is going to be a collection management application that makes a streaming account roughly equivalent to a local collection, there probably should be a way to track when albums exit without our involvement.

4 Likes

Seems like it should be pretty simple to track. If an album is in my library and not on TIDAL, then TIDAL removed it.

Even if Roon doesn’t do anything automatic (like replacing it with an alternate version), at least letting me know so I can look for an alternate version myself would be good.

1 Like

Yes that’s pretty much all we’re looking for. A flag or weekly digest of missing stuff so we can hunt down alternative versions or make a decision on whether to buy a physical copy etc.

2 Likes

Certainly applies 4 me - I collect tons of vinyl and CDs…

This is an interesting discussion! I’ve experienced this myself, and it’s frustrating. What we need to understand though is what the relationship is between the folks who release music, and the streaming services. Unlike when they distribute a CD out through the shops for you to buy and own, and play when you like, the artist allows the streaming service to present and allow playing of their album on a day by day basis, not in perpetuity. The people releasing music generally use some kind of aggregation service, where they upload all the master track and artwork, and then select which streaming services they want to distribute to. This gives them a huge number of options to adjust how their music is going out there, and the chance to recall it, change it up and remove from platforms for a huge number of reasons. One simple thing which occurs is say to release an album as say one single a month over a year. This keeps fresh songs popping out on a regular basis to keep fans and press engaged. Once twelve songs are out there as twelve singles, consolidating them means recalling 12 singles and releasing as one album. Yes this messes with your collection big time, and tracking with ISRC number isn’t going to help much. Maybe A.I. like Shazam could do this better? Another reason that back catlogue stuff is getting released and pulled down is likely disputes over the rights to release the music. Maybe some low cost CD compiler from the 1990s thinks that because they released ‘best of swing’ as a bargain CD in 1998, and got permission for a handful of classic jazz cuts, that they somehow are allowed to put this up on Tidal in 2019. Then the actual owner of the tunes has to notice, step in and say, hang on, that agreement was just for CDs released in the UK, not streaming for the whole world. Then they issue some kind of assertion of their rights, and Tidal has to check it all out, take the offending work down, and pay royalties to the appropriate record company. Pretty sure this is happening by opportunistic sharks all the time.
So, you can see that this goes a whole lot deeper than just the annoyance of the state of your collection. If that music is really important to you - buy it!
Realise that your streaming sub is just renting tracks from a library, that’s why it’s waaaay cheaper than our record buying habits were in the 1990s and 2000s. And that’s why the stock on offer changes too. Hope that helps y’all!
Dan

Not really, because as it’s been explained ad nauseam, we know how streaming services operate. It’s how Roon chooses to (not) report on adds, moves and changes within its library database that’s the issue.

2 Likes

I think for now the streaming world is too “young” and still has gaps, which will be fixed in time.

Spotify is 14 years old but OK.