Sonos Announces 3 New products - The Sonos PORT could be a very nice End Point!

I had one of my ZP90s modified by Wyrd4Sound a few years ago. But today if you want HiRes there are way too many cheaper and better options available then spending $400 to have a Sonos component modified. Don’t get me wrong. Sonos has a firm place in ecosystem but not for HiRes. It’s more of a background listening to Sirius thing for me. Plus it’s the only thing my wife can really figure out and use.

By the way in your screen shot did you notice that your system is down converting your HiRes files to 16/44?

1 Like

Yes of course, that was the reason I showed the screenshot. But I think you don’t get my point. Of course at this moment you buy better equipped network solutions who play natively HiRes like the Bluesound Node2, as an audiojournalist I use also in my workbench system. But when I bought the ZP90 in 2009 there were no other solutions with such a beautiful interface and nowadays I can use the ZP90 in my system in combination with Roon and listening to HiRes content albeit converted…Sonically no problem

I bought the Sonos Port but I can’t get it working with Roon, wired or wireless. It shows up in settings but when I try to play through it I get the “Roon has lost connection…”. I have 5 other older Sonos components as end points and they work fine without the Port connected. However when I introduce Port into the system, it knocks all of the other Sonos components from Roon and none of them work. If I disconnect the Port, all of the Sonos end points work again. Is Roon working to make the Port compatible? Does anyone have the Port working in their Sonos system?

Roon Core on Windows 10 PC

Just got an email today from Sonos saying that they are no longer supporting older products. Is Roon working on certification for the new Sonos products? As it stands I can’t get my new Sonos Port working with Roon.

There is no certification. We just make it work.

We ordered a Port today to take a look…

1 Like

Do we know when the certification is expected for Sonos Port and also for Sonos Move?

I bought a Port solely for the purpose of bringing my media room passive AVR speakers into my Roon Sonos matrix. After dropping $475, I guess the “Port” is not Roon “tested”? Wow… Showing up in Other Network Devices as “Sonos Streaming”, but not in the “Roon Tested” section of my endpoints, so I cannot group it and for some reason cannot even stream to it. This is all so frustrating. For those of you that argue every post in favor of Roon, some of us are trying so hard to buy in… I love the Roon interface and until this morning was about to buy a Nucleus + solely to integrate with Control4, but at every turn I’m getting smacked in the face. Help!

Strange. Yes, not many Sonos products are “Roon tested”, like the Port, Play:5 2nd gen, One etc.

But I can stream to my Port, and even group it with a Play:1 (“Roon tested”).

Everything seems really choppy. Not the audio, but the grouping seems hit or miss. Could be that I’m running the software on a laptop versus the Nucleus I want to buy. It’s just scary. I sure wish I could demo. Is there any sort of demo available for the Nucleus. Until I know, I can’t sell this. So many of my clients want a virtual type matrix versus a C4 triad.

What HiFi slams the port pretty hard even though they have liked other Sonos products.
No I don’t care what you think about What HiFi.

That was a bizarre review.

“If your streamer cannot keep in time a constant 4/4 kick, control will rapidly slip from its grasp the more parts get planted on top.”

…I had to re-read that bit couple of times. Then it seems that connecting to an external DAC isn’t great either. I will wait for the ASR review.

So this thing is Roon’s missing input device? An A/D converter which can stream the digital output over the network? But the sound isn’t great because the A/D converter doesn’t work all that well?

Not a new feature. Previous Connect models could do this. No connection with Roon though so it isn’t Roon’s missing input device. All controlled by the Sonos app.

Right. The analogue of, I should have said.

I’ve seen three reviews now denigrating the sound quality of the Port. Not good for something that costs way too much. $449 is ridiculous and I have a lot of Sonos products.