Sorting my Grateful Dead Live material

i have 145,000 live tracks by Dead and Phish.
I have a nucleus + with 32GB of memory
IT has caused performance issues with ROON.
Biggest problem: When Shuffling music it can take up to 3 min for music to begin playing.
Advised by ROON support its the structure of my library.
DEAD>Folders inside of years>scores of folders (concerts) in each year.

I tried taking all the folders/concerts/albums and just putting them in a single watched folder but no improvement.
Im a little shocked to discover this as I never saw anything about all this before purchasing the Nucleus +.
Ive decided to sell the Nucleus +. Too bad
Thank you

How many tracks in total, across all artists, do you have?

146,000 over 8 artists

strangely I created a music folder with 98,000 tracks over 8 artist folders with my IMAC as a core and things seem to be fine. When trying smaller libraries with 10,000 tracks with the Nucleus + I began to get performance issues with music taking a long time to play once track selected and navigating the controller was very slow (loading artists, albums, or tracks).Things very quick using IMAC as a core.
Does IMAC just have more power than Nucleus +?
or is something wrong with my Nucleus + (roon support says its fine)?

Thomas_clark1 - way to go in the Dead! Didn’t the Roon folks suggest some data structure that might help?

I wonder if using some of the classical music structure would help, where “1977” is album, “Barton Hall, Ithaca NY” is “section” and then the songs are “movements” “Winterland” in 1977 would be another section in the same 1977 “album”.

No suggestions that worked

Not sure if this will help you but I have 110,000 tracks about 10,000 of which (I’m guessing) are Grateful Dead - I have all the commercial releases, the Dick’s and Dave’s Picks and about 200 bootlegs.
My core is WIN10, i5, 12GB RAM.
I don’t have performance issues but organizing my Grateful Dead collection was a low key nightmare.
What worked best for me was having a Grateful Dead folder inside my watched folder with each album in a folder name prefaced with the date of the show.
Ie:

I avoided using year folders globally and disc number folders for the albums. Each album has one folder and the folder name starts with the date of the concert.
I named the tracks:
disc number - track number - title

This works great for finding albums with a DLNA program but as Roon doesn’t support Folder browsing I set Roon to use metadata tags and created metadata tags for Recording Date (using the date of the concert) and set the Release Date tag to match the recording date rather than the official release date. Hence, I can sort the albums by Date and they appear chronologically according the the concert date.
…this took me over a year to accomplish :woman_shrugging::skull:

Thank you.
I sorta do that

MUSIC>GDEAD>years>individual concert folders in each year.

I used MP3 Tag to standardize the title “1974-06-08” for example.

With the Nucleus+ this didn’t work (up to 3 minutes for music to play once track selected when shuffling).
I then tried 570 concert folders in a music file for Room to see (no years) but performance problems continued with that low amount of folders.

I took the Nucleus+ out and am using my IMAC as a core now (music folder back to MUSIC-GDEAD-YEARS-CONCERTS) and things have been much better

So now I’m searching for explanation for why the IMAC can do what the Nucleus+ cannot. I even maxed nucleus memory to 32GB

2 Likes

Looks like you’ve already ruled out excessive folder hierarchy and metadata issues.
It is puzzling the Nucleus+ is stumbling.

The only thing I can think of, and it’s purely a guess, is that it’s still doing background analysis of your library?
If so are your settings set to throttled?
If not maybe that will help?

Thanks but have both those turned off.