Splitting tracks (FLAC + CUE files) [Answered - Use Cue Tools (Win), Flacon (Linux) or XLD (OSX)]

Gapless playback requiring cuesheets is a thing of the past. Most if not all players handle gapless fine.

Okay, good to know. Then I think once I’m happy that all my tracks have converted properly I will actually delete those one track files.

Most of my music is anyway converted into proper flac files with separate tracks.

Maybe stash em somewhere safe to avoid clutter in your main library

When you are double happy they split Ok then delete em

Better safe …

1 Like

Anothere method is to use Avdshare Audio Converter to split cue base flac files.
It has both Mac and Windows version.

1 Like

For whatever reason, it is very inconvenient to not support FLAC + CUE files. This prevents me from listening to only certain tracks of the entire CD. It is not possible to split thousands of flac files into tracks. For this reason I am hesitant to buy Roon. Judging from my experience with making similar software, it seems that the Roon development team hasn’t made it because it’s really hard to handle many kinds of cue files. Since Roon doesn’t support cue files, I can’t hear 40% of my music through Roon.

CUE tools is a freebie and splits Flac and CUE very accurate, confirmed by Accurip I use it all the time

It is also possible to Bulk Convert, select a folder and press go

Don’t do too many at once it makes it difficult to find the splits

Roon plays the splits gaplessly

If not JRiver reads Flac and CUE natively and splits them too, get a 30 demo and split away …

It’s perfectly possible and there are a multitude of tools available to do the job. Perhaps “I don’t want to” would be a more accurate depiction of your situation.

If you use dbpoweramp to do the conversion you can configure it to delete the source flac on successful decide into individual tracks.

If not using dbpoweramp, the best thing to do is stop Roon, find all folders with single flac and cue files, move all their folders to a different part of the directory tree and unleash your splitter on that folder tree. When it’s done search all FLAC files over a certain size threshold (start with say > 200MB) and delete them. Then reduce size till it’s clear the search result is individual tracks.

I tend to split stuff before I drop them into the watched folders

I tidy up metadata as well, my comment was around how converted folders sometimes get odd names an get a bit scrambled

All my Cue Flac are split so it’s only new stuff involved, quite rare these days with Tidal. I use JRiver for big jobs , Cue tools for odd albums

For Windows and Linux and Mac, Fre:ac does a beautiful job of splitting files.
It will convert to other formats at the same time, or not, the choice is yours.
As the name implies it’s free.

Hi Richard, digging out this old post of you. I am just trying to split albums that contain a large FLAC and a CUE file into seperate FLAC files using JRIVER…
But I have one big problem: JRIVER creates separate FLAC files for me, named correctly, also the number of files is correct, but every splitted FLAC has the same size as the “big” FLAC file that belongs to the CUE file. So JRIVER is actually not splitting. I found a thread at the JRIVER forums, where other people have the same issue.
How did you make it work?
Thx!

Only Just seeing this

That is not my experience, I have split tens if not hundreds of files

What version of JRiver are you using ?
Are the CUE files looking OK ?