Spotify announce lossless streaming

Spotifys product is not music it’s Spotify itself they said this themselves. They care about your data so they can mine it and sell it on. They don’t give two hoots about much else. This is just following my leader with Amazon as they are gathering momentum. Another service with more a less a ocked in app. A few exceptions but not many.

2 Likes

FINALLY!!! I’ve been waiting years for this.

I hope all the existing tracks will be getting true, native lossless treatment.

6 Likes

So it sounds like Spotify is finally going to fill that lossless gap by offering a HiFi Tier later this year. I haven’t seen any specific details yet, but I’m hoping Roon will keep an eye on this? I would probably drop Tidal and Amazon Music HD (or at least one of the two) as I have all 3 right now for different reasons.

3 Likes

Not sure if this is new news or not, but sounds like they are launching at a minimum a CD-quality service described as lossless. No mention of HiRes.

Doesn’t mean that they’ll integrate with Roon any more than currently. Kind of can’t imagine that this would shift their likelihood to do what Roon requires. But will shift the dynamics between Tidal/Qobuz and Spotify - as many here have pointed out, the discovery and recommendations services within Spotify are great for a big portion of people, so if lossless Redbook were high enough resolution/ quality for that group of people some of them might move to Spotify.

Discuss.

1 Like

I maintain both Qobuz and Amazon Music HD. So, I would only entertain Spotify HiFi if it were integrated into roon. Otherwise, I already have better sound quality of Qobuz via roon and the larger catalog of Amazon Music.

1 Like

Not sure there algorithms are much better than other services. I saw a big decline in quality of recommendations and playlists repeat as much as Roon radio for me. Tidal was getting much better at this for my tastes and I dropped it for Qobuz. But with this switch to at least cd quality I will likely use Spotify more but depends on how much it costs.

If this also covers hires then if I was Roon I would be worried as the Spotify app could cover 90%+ of peoples listening habits. Not many have their own collection these days and pretty much every bit of hardware sold supports connect it’s a killer decision. There will be still be people who want local as well and Roon and the rest fit this bill.

1 Like

The thing I used to love doing when I was on Spotify was searching for an individual track and then going through the playlist results for that track. It always come up with Spotify/User playlists that absolutely suited the mood I was in.
I would love something similar in roon.
Even if when you searched for a song there was a Valance playlist result that you could open up and edit.

8 Likes

Not at all, they have been preparing this since early 2017:

1 Like

The Backstreet Boys sold more records than Bob Dylan. Let’s not confuse quantity with quality.

3 Likes

No; Yes; Educated Guesses

Another +1 for a Roon member who’d love Spotify HiFi integration! I’ve had Spotify for years as my primary streaming service (have a Family Plan that my whole household uses with separate accounts). So I’ve typically used Roon for my big personal digital audio collection when I want to do some critical listening. But I also use Spotify a lot when I’m commuting / out and about, just with AirPods.

While I have Tidal right now (on a great promotion they’ve run twice now during Covid times), I don’t use it enough to make it worth subscribing to both Tidal and Spotify. So if Roon could get access to work with Spotify HiFi, that would be great for me.

7 Likes

I think it makes sense for Apple to upgrade to lossless. Apple needs something new to differentiate its next gen hardware as “upgrades” of phones get less and less attractive. They played the camera improvements to their logical absurdity (memoji). I would be very happy to see Apple embrace lossless and for Apple and Roon to embrace each other.

2 Likes

Update jan 2021:
Spotify 155m subscribers

This was in their announcement. Anything sound familiar?

“Beginning later this year, Premium subscribers in select markets will be able to upgrade their sound quality to Spotify HiFi and listen to their favorite songs the way artists intended

1 Like

Thanks do you have a link to your stats.

https://musically.com/2020/02/19/spotify-apple-how-many-users-big-music-streaming-services/

Thanks again. Here’s another in depth article on the Spotify streaming stats.

All those figures illustrate the enormous growth of music streaming services.

Finally! They have been teasing this for years. Even without Hi-Res this is going to be major competition for Tidal and Qobuz as the Spotify apps and user interface are better IMHO.

4 Likes