Spotify or Spotify HiFi in Roon [spotify will not allow this]

I was behind the times earlier. Danny has posted here about approaching Spotify again:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/spotify-hi-fi-launch-imminent/22138/12?u=andybob

@Rugby, Spotify has their API out in the open for several years. I have developed an Android app that has this integrated. So this is indeed a possibility.

They are supposedly turning this off in 2017. At least according to info from the Logitech LMS developer who assists in maintaining Spotify plugins that can work with LMS.

I don’t know whether this is worthwhile, or if it will count for anything… The service is supposedly community driven sort you never know…

3 Likes

Voted. I am a Spotify Premium subscriber but might cancel if Roon integration remains stalled.

1 Like

Voted. I figure it’s the only thing we can do to contribute to make this happen (not holding my breath, though).

Voted too and added my comments.

Not that I am unhappy with Tidal Hifi, but we have to be prepared for when / if Tidal goes under, and have options

voted

Perhaps the advent of a lossless Hi-Fi tier at Spotify provides a new opportunity of @Danny & co to connect with Spotify.
If I recall correctly there is\was already a working integration and lots of effort with Spotify, but things broke down on the legal side. Not sure that is a reparable rift, but, as time heals…

For me, I find that Tidal lacks both on the content and the playlist side. Getting Spotify integrated would be awesome, as, I must confess, I am sometimes tempted to just switch to Spotify connect, foregoing the excellent user interface of Roon, but prioritizing the music and playlists available of Spotify.
In the long run, having only one streaming provider will be the Achilles heel of Roon I suspect. But, they are only a small fish in the sea, and it takes two to tango.

My basic use of ROON is having all the media that I posses in a central app. I have thousands upon thousands of albums in itunes, hundreds of HI rez files on a shared drive that I can stream to my oppo, plus I have Tidal and Apple Music. If I want Apple Music, I just go to app. The reason I use Tidal in Roon is for gapless playback. If Spotify goes HiFi, I’ll subscribe and just use their app. first and foremost Roon is about organizing my CD rips and Hi rez files that I have in multiple places. Tidal is a bonus.

voted. tidal is [:roll_eyes:] useless

Tidal suits me. It’s filled holes in my Libraray. I am able to find music by artists we are looking to host. These are new artists that they would be forgiven for not having. I get access to all the new releases I want and the sound quality is great. On top of this we have MQA to play with as well.
Tidal is Great.

1 Like

I also like Tidal. I hope people subscribe to Tidal, and they continue to exist.

Having said this, it would be really great if Roon strikes a deal with Spotify. The more options available to Roon subscribers, the better

3 Likes

Another vote for Spotify.

and a vote for Spotify here as well…but not Roon’s choice so more wishful thinking than anything else…

Er, no, the fact of the matter is that Roon is not Spotify’s choice…

2 Likes

I didn’t express myself correctly but indeed, that’s what I meant.

Should have scrolled back further. :blush:
Nice to hear Roon is reaching out again on the off chance…

1 Like

Currently you can import your own local MP3s into Spotify. If the Hi-Fi version goes a step further and lets you import your complete library like Roon allows, then this could really be a game changer.

They already have endpoints with Spotify Connect and it is mobile.

Well, TIDAL is mobile… Mobile Spotify does not take your local files with you.

Even just Spotify. I have a Spotify Family account and a Tidal account only to use with Roon. I even downgraded Tidal from HiFi to standard to save some cost.

I spend much every month for various services, and I buy more CDs than ever before. CDs are immediately converted to flac and stored on the computer with the Roon server.

Tidal, I only use with Roon to explore new music. The music I really like, I will buy as CD or download as highres, so standard quality is OK for me for this.

Outside my home I use Spotify as I like this much more than Tidal. So please integrate with Spotify, so I can get rid of Tidal.

1 Like