SQ question: single-mode vs multimode fibre for Lumin LAN optical products (X1, P1 and U2)

I’ve come across various discussions where people seem to prefer the Planet MGB-TLX transceiver modules over those made by Finisar. I personally tried the MGB-TLX and found it to be far superior to the 10Gtek modules I had used earlier.

In addition to the transceiver modules, I experimented with different fiber optic cables. I started with 10Gtek’s fiber, then tried Commscope fiber, and finally settled on Corning SMF-28 Ultra fiber. The Corning fiber has the lowest attenuation among the options I tested and significantly outperformed Commscope, despite Commscope’s cable being twice as expensive and only half as effective.

Returning to the transceiver modules, after my positive experience with the MGB-TLX, I decided to test the MGB-TL40 out of curiosity. It turned out to be even better than the MGB-TLX. Now, I’m considering trying the MGB-TL80, which operates at a 1550nm wavelength, resulting in lower attenuation compared to the other modules that operate at a 1310nm wavelength.

As for the comparison between single-mode and multi-mode fibers, my understanding is that single-mode fibers have much less attenuation, making them a better choice in terms of performance.

That’s exactly what fs.com specified what my product link to be in 2019, when I asked them in e-mail. Since the web site and product name changed, I don’t know if it’s still the same thing.

1 Like

Single mode fiber is very different that a multimode fiber. They both use different connectors and are designed for different applications. The fiber is type is related to the size of the fiber core and cladding, Single mode being thicker fiber. Multimode Fiber has multiple paths for the light and is sensitive to modal dispersion.

Multimode fiber has more much high light attenuation of light and is used for lower bandwidth applications. Do to modal dispersion the light reflecting causes multiple paths for the light to travel through the cable. Single mode does not have this problem and is design for high speed application and the core of the fiber is much smaller and it more expensive.

Single Mode fiber is a much higher performance fiber with less attenuation. The reduced size of the fiber core reduces the number of paths light can take though the cable and reduced the attenuation. This reduce modal dispersion of the light. The smaller core size of this fiber increases the cost of the transmitters, connectors and the cable. Single mode is is in optical long haul networks city to city applications

There are newer designs of Multimode cable with higher speeds
file:///C:/Audio/FIBER/T-REC-G.651.1-201811-I!!PDF-E.pdf

There nothing wrong with Multimode at 10 MHz and up for the newer multimode plus they are not compatible. We have tested these cable in the multiple labs and found that they for fine.

James

1 Like

@Gilles_Charette1 “Returning to the transceiver modules, after my positive experience with the MGB-TLX, I decided to test the MGB-TL40 out of curiosity. It turned out to be even better than the MGB-TLX. Now, I’m considering trying the MGB-TL80, which operates at a 1550nm wavelength, resulting in lower attenuation compared to the other modules that operate at a 1310nm wavelength.”

Well, crap, now I gotta try those. This is what I have now; AfterDark. Project ClayX Constellation SFP 1G Module for Audiophile This feeds into an EtherRegen. I’m not using the converter that After Dark sent (I didn’t get a power supply for it anyway), instead I found this one on Amazon that I really like. Amazon.com I’m obviously not using the SFP cage that came with the converter. Since it’s powered from a USB-C port, you can use a power brick with an integrated battery, a much cleaner source of power. It sounds pretty fantastic, but I’m one that always has to try all the reasonable options.

@Flashman

I have no experience with Lumin components. I have a complex LAN setup with a Router and several switches plus many cables including optical. I have tried optical with various SFPs and both single and dual mode cables of different lengths. I have always slightly preferred Ethernet cables compared to optical. Without going into the long story of all the steps and cables I have tried, the following is my recent experience.

Firstly I recently read on another Forum about a DAC (Direct Attach Copper) in which a copper cable is integrated/connected fixed to the SFPs at each end. I bought one and liked the outcome after a week of settling. Very Pleased. Then I read on another Forum about an AOC (Active Optical Cable). Once again, the SFPs and the cable are integrated. I bought one. Better than the DAC. In my system after 200+ hours of settling seriously good. I still find it hard to appreciate the extent of the reduction in noise floor. It has to be heard to be believed.

The AOC is a 1MT Finisar FCBG110SD1C01. The last digit is the length. It comes in various lengths. My understanding is that single mode is superior for audio purposes. Unfortunately, this cable is dual mode. Whether an AOC comes in single mode and would be better I do not know. It is connected between a SoTM and a Melco switch. It cost me A$98 delivered. I have spent a lot more on just one SFP. Inexpensive for the outcome. Worth a try.

PS the switches are on separate LPS which I think helps.
John

1 Like

I just bought one of the exact same units for US$29 delivered from TransceiverUSA.com. I’ll try it out, too.

1 Like

I assume that you mean the Finisar. Give it time to settle. Over a week. As well power what ever you connect it to, with separate power. If you get the result that I did you will be very happy.
What optical devices will you connect to?

John

1 Like

Yes, the Finisar FCBG110SD1C01. Will be going into an EtherRegen which has a dedicated LPS from MCRU in the UK. Other end will start with this small converter that I like from Amazon which is battery-powered via USB-C. So yes, different power sources at each end.

1 Like

It will be interesting to read what your perceptions are?
John

Yes, I’ll report back on this and on the Planet-brand transceivers, though it will probably be a month or so since I want to give everything a fair shot after they’ve settled.

1 Like

Cool, I would be very interested in the results you find. I was looking at the Afterdark stuff. That is where I got the information about the fibre, they use Commscope on one of their offerings and Corning with their high end fibre that they have the carbon fibre sleeve. I ordered some silicone self sealing tape and carbon fibre fabric off Amazon. I haven’t put the sleeve on yet, but I will in the coming weeks. In any case, there is always something new to try. I am going to order the MGB-TL80 modules and report back my findings.

I got an email this morning that the TL80’s are back-ordered and expected the week of the 21st. I took the opportunity to cancel my order since I’ve got the Active Cable coming to test out at a fraction of the price of the TL80’s. If the AOC doesn’t do it for me I’ll re-order the TL-80’s. Honestly, the regular Finisar/Corning setup I’m currently using sounds so good I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking for. Just want to try everything I guess. My backgrounds are already dead-silent.

It would be good to see both perspectives, I may at some point order the AOC just to see what is truly better. The possibility also exists that depending on your switches and module compatibility may come into the equation… I am running 2x Meraki (base + OXCO clocks) switches with linear power supplies (all by Audiophool). I have that running into my Roon server which has a JCAT Net Card XE, the JCAT has OXCO clock as well and it has 2 ports one connected to the switch and the other connected to my Lumin, so the Net Card is in bridge mode. The whole setup is very natural, but like most audio geeks, we are always looking to step it up.

I ordered several Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL transceivers since they’re cheap (used/pulled) via IT companies. These are the 10G models which utilize the DFB lasers and are purported to be the best. And even though I cannot try them on the Lumin U2 (but you can bet I’ll still experiment anyway!), I will be trying it - along with a 10G FMC into my Zidoo UHD3000 media player. I watch a lot of home ripped 4k/UHD movies off my NAS and the Zidoo is also capable of playing 5.1 .dsf files. If it doesn’t look/sound any different, then I can return the 10G FMC. I’ll be keeping the transceivers either way. I know, this is all digital and shouldn’t matter. But when Corning themselves admit their nicer line of cables ‘reduces distortions’ (hint, they carefully do not say eliminate), then you know there is more to all of this than meets the (red blinking) eye.

fs.com Corning SMF-28 Ultra (printed on the fiber) purchased in 2019.

I forgot why I not only purchased item 68296 previously advertised as Ultra low loss fiber (on Lumin web site), but also item 61326 as well.

1 Like

Interesting

@wklie - Hi Peter.

Both of them - see above - are “Fiber Connector LC UPC to LC UPC”.

But you can also get APC ( APC Fiber Connector - Angled physical contact connectors are designed to minimize the back reflection even more efficiently. The ferrule end-face of these connectors is polished at an angle of 8 degrees. Thus, any light that reflects at the point of termination is reflected at a steep angle so it cannot travel far towards the source. in other words, this polish style forces the light to reflect into the cladding rather than the sources.)

So Fiber Connector LC APC to LC APC would be an improvement compared to Fiber Connector LC UPC to LC UPC.

Torben

@wklie - Hi Peter.

Just got a confirmation from FS that the cable is a “Corning SMF-28 Ultra fiber”.

Torben

1 Like

Don’t your SFP need to support APC as well. Which one are you using ?

Your are right.

I use StarTech (Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-LX10 kompatibel SFP Transceiver Modul - 1000BASE-LX) and I did get this information from them:

“Unfortunately, all StarTech com fiber products use UPC connectors, which are not compatible with APC connectors. UPC and APC connectors cannot mate with one another because causes the fiber cores don’t touch. This can cause a degraded connection or none at all”

Torben