Starlink compatibility for Roon ARC?

I didn’t realize that the Windows and Mac versions of Tailscale now support being subnet routers. This was a LInux only thing not that long ago. So if you have a PC or Mac around that you can leave on and connected to the internet 24/7, this actually turns out to be a lot more simple than I thought it would be for you. I don’t think you’d even need the ethernet adapter and bypass mode. So if you already have a computer you can use:

1. follow the Tailscale quickstart guide and install it on the computer you’re going to use. Skip step 3. You’ll do this later.
  2. follow steps 1-4 in their subnet router guide.
    2b. to find your subnet for advertise-routes in step 2 of the guide, first find your local ip address on any device on your home network. Then replace the number after the last dot with 0/24. For example if your devices IP address is 192.168.0.42 then your subnet will be 192.168.0.0/24. And the command for enabling it would be sudo tailscale up --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24 Their example puts in 2 subnets separated by a comma, but you’ll only have one.
  3. if you haven’t already do the initial setup of the ARC app while connected to your home wifi.
  4. Install the Tailscale app on your iOS or Android device and login to your account. You should see the device you setup as your subnet router in the list of connected devices.
  5. test it out by turning wifi off on your phone/tablet and turn the switch on in the Tailscale app. Give it a sec to connect.
  6. Go back to the ARC app. Depending on your internet speed on both ends, it may take a few seconds for it to connect to your core. Try playing some tracks. If ARC says it can’t connect to your core try forcing it closed and reopen it.
  7. Profit!

@Andy_Jones also created a very nice thread about this which includes a video of a guy setting up subnet routing.

1 Like