Starlink (ISP) with ARC: CG-NAT Requires VPN Workaround (See Staff Post)

Did Starlink assign you a static IP? While ARC now seems to work with IPv6, it feels like whenever Starlink assigns me a new IP, (which is pretty often) I need to update the internal IPv6 IP address on the router in the Firewall settings?

I haven’t had my IPv6 address change since it was first assigned. They change my IPv4 address all the time but not the IPv6. I’m not sure that Starlink offers static IPv6 addresses, only static IPv4 addresses.

Just to make sure, first run IPv6 Test to make sure all is okay with your IPv6. The DNS test may fail since most ISPs don’t have this setup yet but that is fine.

Then go into Roon settings and select Roon ARC. You will see the test results and at the right you will see a refresh and dropdown icon. Drop this down then also drop down the “Show Advanced” section. You will see the IPv4 and IPv6 address for your Roon core. Note the values from both of these tests then see if the IPv6 values are changing or just the IPv4 values. Since there are 340 trillion trillion trillion IPv6 addresses, they should never need to change them until we’ve populated the known universe and then some. :slight_smile:

1 Like

you’re fortunate - My Ipv6 addresses seem to change every few days with Starlink.

What’s IPv6 when it’s at home?!

My only router is the one provided by Starlink. Why would I have more than that one?

The router that comes with Starlink isn’t compatible with Roon unless you buy the “LAN adapter” option and use that to connect to a different router. You can find the LAN adapter on the Starlink site, it’s pretty cheap.

Once you get the LAN adapter you can connect to another router using bridge mode. Then you just need to make sure Starlink has assigned you an IPv6 address (they almost certainly have) and then set up Roon ARC to use IPv6 which will solve the CGNAT issues caused by using Starlink with the stock router.

Oh. Ok.

Any particular other router to be looking for? Preferably an idiot proof easy to set up one!

Would that not expose any device on your home network to malicious access via the internet?

I have found that ASUS routers are good but there are many others that are good as well. The ASUS RT-AX1800S is a really good low-price option. I haven’t used this model but all ASUS routers I have used are simple to set up.

No, not at all. The Starlink LAN adapter puts your satellite connection into bridge mode. Once you plug that into another router you are at least as secure as you were with the Starlink router. Btw, the LAN adapter plugs into the Starlink router so you will also need to leave that plugged in but all it does is control the dish then pass off the signal to the LAN adapter. You will then run a CAT6 cable from the adapter to your new router. Btw, this will give you a bridge mode connection which is the same many other ISPs provide.