Starting from scratch with ROON

Just clicked ‘rescan’ and it stopped at the same number.

That’s only 3 mins to scan 5000-9000 files?..seems rather to short to me for that many tracks based on the time of my post and your reply.

I rescanned and it took less than 40 seconds.

I’ve now added another Watched folder called ‘SACD rips’. That has added 1220 tracks.

However, all these albums were already in MediaGo, so I don’t know why it made a difference. The problem now seems to be that I added cover art to these albums after importing them to MediaGo each time I ripped an SACD. Seeing as Roon is looking in the SACD tips folder, it’s missing some covers still.

I think my laptop music library is a bit of a mess and it’s causing these issues. Or it might be the complexity of Roon confusing me. Probably a bit of both.

Hi @Woo,

No one’s mentioned the Roon Knowledge Base yet … do check it out … it’s a good source of reference.

2 Likes

Just as a general comment - I run Roon on a couple of somewhat underpowered Mac mini’s of quite some vintage (one at home, one in vacation home - the Roon license switches between them). They’re both dual-core i5-powered, but both have hard disks, not SSD’s.

Everything works fine.

A couple of comments on your “specs”. I cannot recommend too strongly the ROCK option as a core Roon server. I was skeptical and ran it on an iMac (for over a year) and on Windows when I moved and the iMacwas “lost”. Both were OK and gavae an idea of the possibilities with Roon. Moving to the ROCK was a whole new experince, more solid, reliable and ‘always on’. You DO need to be capable of installing (or wanting to learn) to play with command line installs. And, as with much of Roon, it has its idiosyncracies! ROCK is the DIY equivalent of Nucleus.

To your comment about NAS. For me, music resides on the NAS and the core ‘knows’ where those files are. I do not want to have my NAS do multiple tasks, so I use the ROCK as the core. You may have already grasped that Roon DOES NOT touch your music files (nor, for that reason, does it back them up: Note Bene) but maintains a separate and distinct database of information about your music.

I would say “Stick with it” Roon’s excentricties can be frustrating, but you have done the right thing in coming to this forum.

Good luck,

Cheers

Greetings from Canada. I read your post with interest. I am by no means an expert however I thought I would share my experience with you. I tried a number of configurations using the Roon as my core and the best sounding solution and user friendly absolute was using the Innuos product. I personally use the Innuos Zen (2TB) with a PS Audio DAC. The Roon is an amazing managing system organizing your library with a number of options that include the “Radio” setting which continues to play music from your library similar to the previous track played. The combination of Roon, Tidal and Innuos is amazing.
Regards, Warren

Hi Graham,

I’m interested in how you ran ROCK on an iMac?

I’m not sure it is the best idea to confuse someone who is entirely new to computer audio and who wants the simplest option.

1 Like

I think he means he ran roon core on mac and windows before trying rock

If that is right Tony then this is part of the problem that has been raised many times before, people are giving advice when they themselves don’t understand what ROCK is or really how Roon works.

Maybe Graham was somehow running ROCK on his iMac in a virtual machine using Parallels or VMWare Fusion but is that the best advice to give someone who is completely inexperienced with computer audio?

Seems crazy to me.

Maybe or maybe it’s just a case of not expressing themselves clearly.

1 Like

That was a particularly inelegant piece of writing. @Tony_Reimann has the right of it. I tried Roon, not ROCK on iMac and Win 10. As Ms Jody would say, “A case of unclear antecedents”.

Cheers

1 Like

Don’t need SSD, they are best (silent) but not required. I use a 2011 Mac mini with external drive and works fine. I think a large phone or tablet is crucial as a controller though.

1 Like

Thanks for the help everyone. I’ve been using the 14-day trial with my laptop for a few days now.

I’ve never used any music playback software before and have been very skeptical of computer audio up to now, but Roon has been really impressive. I’ve got my laptop running into my DAC - a Sony TA-ZH1ES - which works with all my DSD downloads and ripped CDs. I then listen via my Leben amp and Harbeth speakers. The Roon radio function and Tidal integration have both been a revelation. I’m sure I’ll be getting a subscription soon.

Went to the home of a community member at the weekend and he showed me how to use Roon with an ipad. It seems the best way to go.

We agreed that the Nucleus would he the best option for me, considering:

1. Lack of PC skills
  2. Desire for on-shelf aesthetics
  3. Support and backup here
  4. My limited pkayback zone requirements

So overall very impressed with Roon. Feels like the future of hi-fi in the home.

6 Likes