Streamer Shoot-Out: Allo, Bluesound, Cambridge Audio, Innuos, Sonore, Sonos, Yamaha

Thats exactly how I do it, I don’t even have an ethernet cable but a home made adapter with 2 quality connectors. Sound gains in clarity and openness, but loses a little fullness, so while I like it not everyone wants to go that way.

My male-male RJ45 adapter:

i’m using a 10gtek fiber media converter on the “clean” and “dirty” ends.
would the sonore optical module on the “clean” end be advisable over the 10gtek one?
it would be powered by a 7.5v rail on a hdplex 300w.
my other option would be to get an EtherRegen.

Yes, that would be a good upgrade.

1 Like

@agillis
Curious about radiated EMI in the setup described by Price (router-> Ethernet->Sonore->optical->OpticalRendu). Conducted EMI carried on ethernet can be radiated by an unshielded EN cable. Depending on distance, the radiated EMI can reach the OpticalRendu, bypassing the optical path. I assume this is one reason, not the whole, that Innuos use EMI shielding internally in their servers.

Yes it the reason Sonore EMI shields the opticalRenude as well. The EMI from ethernet is actually much lower then other noise sources such as wi-fi, cell phones etc.

Interesting and informative video. Thanks for posting.

I do have, what I feel are, a few good questions.

The term “noise” has been tossed about in this (and other) thread(s). So what kind of “noise” are we talking about? How is this “noise” measured? And most importantly, is this “noise” audible to humans? And if so what exactly would a human hear?

Usually what is meant is electronic noise, which will (among other things) affect the oscillators (clocks) and result in more clock jitter. This will not result in noise coming from the speaker though, but less details and more veiled sound.

Clock jitter it tricky to measure, for example if you try to measure it digitally you need to ensure that the clock in the measurement equipment is really good (what you end up measuring is actually the difference between the two clocks).

1 Like

My understanding of digital jitter is that it occurs in picosecond range, which is well beyond the ability of even the most golden human ear. However I do understand why one would want to eliminate any and all possible distortions to the signal and the sound. If one were to compare the sound of a well set up microRendu (no ground loops, linear power supply, etc) to a well set up opticalRendu in the same audio system would there be a readily noticeable sonic difference?

I have an upgraded microRendu myself (Crystek clock inside) and is using it with fiber to an opticalModule and then to microRendu through a very short ethernet male-male homemade adapter (see pictures above). All run with pure LiFePo4 cells (my RME ADI-2 fs DAC is also powered that way).

The opticalModule gives a more clear and detailed sound, but also less warm and a little thinner (more space between instruments etc). I like those changes, but not everyone does. I imagine opticalRendu is even more difference (its an improved ultraRendu with fiber build in).

Thanks!

I have a microRendu which I use with a Sonoma Model One electrostatic headphone system (microRendu USB out → Sonoma USB input) and the overall sound is breathtaking. Since I’m very pleased with the sound I try very hard not to look and listen for problems. :smiley:

Talk to some friend or dealer and borrow and listen in your setup, at the end thats the only way to determine if something makes a difference and if you like that difference. Just make sure you listen a few days to get past bias.

Great advice!

I went from microRendu, then upgraded to the 1.4 board, and then to an opticalRendu (all into the same Naim DAC V1). The oR is much better. The quality of power supply and dc cable feeding them make a huge difference as well, so you might try just upgrading those first. I use a Sonore Power Supply (the good one) and a Ghent Neotech 16ga DC cable and Shunyata Venom USB cable. The mR 1.4 is still in use in the office, with a Teddy Pardo LPS, feeding a Matrix Mini-i Pro 3.

i ordered one right after you replied.
received the optical module deluxe today and plugged it in.
you were right… it is a good upgrade indeed.

How is the difference between a 10Gtek and a Sonore Optical Module?

This depends on what you are using it for. If you are using it on the “dirty” end of the fiber it doesn’t make any difference.

If you are using it on the “clean” end just before the device you want to isolate the Sonore opticalModule will make a large improvement in sound.

From my testing, nothing on the dirty side of the fiber matters as long as it can deliver the data. For example, I can play games or run heavy calculations on the computer at the same time as it acts as a Roon server and it has zero effect on the sound.

But then I have done a lot to isolate my HiFi: everything on the clean side (after fiber) runs on LiFePo4 cells (floating of course) and I even cut pin1 on XLR cable to amplifier to not get ground noise that way.