Sublime subscribers, do you think it's worth it?

It sounds like it will end up being worth it for @Justin_DeAre if he plans to really acquire all he wants in one year’s time. And if that number is substantial, it could be a great year!

And expensive! But I knew that going in.

From my experience, the discount varies between 40-50% on HiRes downloads. There is usually no discount for Redbook. Exceptions may prove the rule :upside_down_face:

NB: Whoops this was geared towards @Stuart_Rosen

2 Likes

Indeed, in the majority of cases this is true. It was late and I just didn’t word it clearly - still, any discount is “far larger” than none. :smirk:

2 Likes

there is only one reason for me: Neil Young. If he where sitll on Tidal, I don’t had to bookmark Qobuz
Cheers
Armin

Noticed that this was the case as well, and I find it very disappointing. But I don’t think my purchases will be predominately Redbook. Most things I’ve searched for have been available in some form of Hi-Res, not that I really care about anything greater than Redbook, but hey if you want to sell me 24bit at half the price, sure! I’m currently on the fence about switching to Sublime. I don’t purchase music like I used to because streaming has made it easier to wade through the “crap”, so when I do purchase it’s for things I really want to keep.

I am super late to this thread, but only just found it as I am considering going Sublime because I also want to purchase music.

Having read @TuliaNonTroppo posts about the amount of savings actually being more than the whole of the subscription service, and also still having had a hi-res streaming service during that time, I also got to thinking and doing some quick math. BTW, @Stuart_Rosen I realize you replied later about getting the point of also benefiting from having a streaming service.

Here is what I figured out:

1. Sublime only costs ~$4/mo more than the regular Qobuz subscription, but you still get that streaming service.
  2. If you simply buy ~12 hi-res albums over the course of that year, your “savings” on those albums will almost certainly be far more than the added cost over the regular streaming service. Buying more than 12 albums simply means even more realized savings!! Win-win!

So, I suppose the real questions is: do you intend/want to buy hi-res music on top of having a great hi-res streaming service? If so, then I believe it is a no-brainer (having done this math).

A couple other things I noticed, some of which has been shared in this thread as well:

1. Licensing for “streaming” can and does change over time. For instance, there are more than a few albums that you cannot stream all songs of the album. However, if you buy the album you do get all of the songs!
  2. “Owning” music versus “renting” music can be a philosophical decision, but also references #1 above (not being able to stream absolutely everything and anything). While I completely understand the value of streaming and not having to store/backup/manage every possible track I could want when the mood strikes, there is still value in “owning” specific albums that mean the most to you (IMHO anyway).

I am actually kicking myself for getting rid of the hundreds of CDs I used to own without first ripping them as lossless files. :roll_eyes: Back then, I felt like MP3 and AAC files were “good enough”, but I have since realized how much more I could hear with better audio gear. I actually was condidering re-buying all of my music on CDs again, just so I could rip them into FLAC! I’d much rather buy those files in CD quality or higher and not have to go through the process of ripping CDs. :joy:

Anyway, only adding this here because I found this thread and points in it useful and hope this “summary” can help someone else! Bottom line: If you want to purchase hi-res music, plus have a great streaming service, Sublime seems to be a no-brainer.

4 Likes

As a Tidal subscriber who is Qobuz curious, your post make’s a lot of sense, so thanks for adding to the thread.

I still buy a lot of CDs and digital albums, and replace a lot of old mp3s with CD purchases from eBay.
Think I need to give Sublime a go and get some of those discounts in :+1:

3 Likes

After a year with Sublime (making lots of purchases - too many) I tried to give Qobuz up and go to local library only. I lasted a week before re-subscribing to Qobuz. I opted for another year of Sublime. I use Qobuz to try out new music and then purchase the albums I like. The savings on downloads means that Sublime, over and against regular Qobuz, pays for itself! Needless to say it only makes sense if you’re going to buy music!!!

4 Likes

It was your mentioning it that made me think that if I do it I need to pay for the year up front.
I think I will do the 30 day trial next month to make it a Christmas present purchase for myself :slight_smile:

I won’t get all my money back, but if I can recoup 50% and have 24/192 music for a year then that is not a bad trial

1 Like

I had been a Qobuz Studio subscriber for a couple of years (prior to that Primephonic). Changed over to Sublime when, by purchasing a Roon Nucleus and a Bricasti DAC/streamer, the quality of my hard-drive/streaming music markedly improved. Over the past 10-15 years I had sporadically purchased new music, mostly vinyl. The significant discount plus the improved sound quality (particularly as I discovered when trying the Hi-Res downloads) has made the extra cost of the Sublime 1 year subscription worth it and will likely renew. The cost of new vinyl vs downloaded Hi-Res music not to mention more choices and convenience) make the latter a better choice. I buy a download or two weekly thus far. Thus far I’m listening to new stuff way more.

3 Likes

Hey, OP here. FWIW I definitely got my value out of Sublime last last year. I didn’t have it for 2022 (I used the Studio plan instead), but now I’ve got more stuff I want to buy so I will be jumping to Sublime again when my plan renews. I use Qobuz to find new music, but I still like to purchase music also.

6 Likes