Suggested hardware

On all the time. Idle it uses 47 W (measured). Headless (i.e. no monitor), boots with Roonserver on.

Dedicated to Room, used for nothing else.
I wanted it very simple, behaving like a 1970s FM radio, no requirement to keep the network up or a NAS functional; I have those things but they are not involved in music enjoyment. I wrote up how I configured it here.

Great to hear, thank you.

Am I likely to experience a significant improvement if I switched to a (quad core) i5 processor?

With your collection size, yes.

1 Like

[quote=“danny, post:111, topic:90”]
@evand: Can I ask why you can’t run as your admin account on your 2012 server?
[/quote]@danny, I tried that but Win spat the dummy having Roon run as Administrator account. Not a biggie as I’ll switch to Linux the second you release the server. In the interim it’d just be convenient being able to remove the video card from the Win server box and having Roon fire up without having to login.

Correction.

47 W sounded too high for the NUC at idle, so I checked.
I use a PSAudio P10 because my house power is very poor. It shows the consumption. But I had forgotten to turn off the Meridian speakers, they contain four DACs and five amps each.

The NUC alone draws 20 W when idle. Like a night light.

NUC, Meridian 818 and DSP8000s and Geek Pulse together draw 90 W at idle.

2 Likes

hi
another question if you dont mind giving me some more advice on,are laptops ok for running the core on if so which make or models and specs should i be looking at,ive been having some thoughts on going the laptop with wd duo harddrive connected for storage,my budget would be ÂŁ500 for a new or a used one,

thank you
gary

Very Good Write Up. I’m New to Roon, just downloaded trial version. FYI will not make my move until i have my hardware set up completed (and some $$ in my pocket to make move to Roon :smiley:). First Day experience of Roon, one word? = Fantastic!

Suggestion: Why dont Roon come up with dedicated hardware with 16GB+ Ram, Good i7 with good cache, and of course integrated graphics, but can remove many extras on the NUC (example USB, additional DP, Additional on-board chips etc) , basically reduce BOM and bare enough and dedicated for Audio only like platform? so the overall cost reduces but excellent future looking maybe 4-5 years. Roon Can Package it in one box solution ?. I m sure someone has already suggested and some discussion has already happened :). Realizing now after typing all above :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Actually, they did that in the past. It was the original Sooloos product. It was eventually acquired by Meridian. Meridian spun off the Sooloos guys because they “didn’t want to be a software company”. This has allowed Roon (previously Sooloos) to focus on the software. Roon’s goal, if I may be so presumptuous, is to be the interface of the Highend and not be tied to any specific hardware. As you might see that focus has many advantages.

1 Like

We definitely don’t really to do audio gear, and controls are better provided by tablet manufacturers and all in one PC manufacturers. That leaves the core, and we have many partners ready to do those.

All Makes sense!.

Especially the nMVE version. Wicked Fast.

This is my favorite page to read for suggested hardware.

Question is : Here you it is written “Plenty of Ram” - what was RAM size in your mind when this was written?

Because you say it here that 8GB is sufficient for “anyone”

Eventually - i m planning for NUC but i have flexibility of 8GB or 16GB. (i m picky on single 16GB chip Vs 4x4 or 8x2 etc, I would go with single chip, sorry deviating)

Gary - I’m not yet on NUC. But I did costing on NUC today.
NUC-i5 6th gen + 16gb + 1tb should fit within $600 or less.
Previous gen i7 should also fit well within $600

Currently RoonServer is on MacBook-Air

1 Like

Where RAM is concerned in general you’re better off doing dual channel rather than single chip.

I’m running a library akin in size to that @brian refers to above on an i3 mini-itx with 16gb ram and a 60GB SSD for Roon’s database. Performance is acceptable using an iPhone 6, iPad Pro and Samsung Galaxy View as remotes. I’m going to switch to an i7 CPU in due course, but as you can see 16GB RAM is way more than RoonServer needs

With analysis underway here’s the RAM consumption running RoonServer on Linux:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES %CPU %MEM TIME+ S COMMAND 669 root 20 0 13.3m 3.0m 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 S `- start.sh 688 root 20 0 531.0m 34.3m 0.0 0.2 0:00.89 S `- RoonServer 724 root 20 0 5117.8m 1.783g 94.7 11.5 351:02.48 S `- RoonAppliance 753 root 20 0 810.4m 34.2m 0.0 0.2 0:02.90 S `- RAATServer 727 root 20 0 7.0m 0.9m 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 S `- processreaper

1 Like

I stand by that. 8gb is plenty, especially for a dedicated or mostly dedicated machine.

A year later, it’s become clear to us that the most important factor in Roon’s performance is the SSD that holds the database, followed by the performance of a single core of the CPU.

1 Like

Thank you Evan. Appreciate the data you have shared. 4x2 RAM would be good per your recommendation. between two vs 1 its matter of maybe 1MSB for chip select (well sort off). should not be big deal in speed loss (thats what i thought between single vs dual or more)

Thanks guys. this closes the decision to take 8GB route (4x2 specifically instead of single chip solution)
My plan is to go with 1TB SSD on NUC so Roon dont have to read from my NAS at all. My track size is not huge (for now). If it grows out, then in future i m expecting NAND 3D memory SSD will flood with tiny form factor with 2/3TB easily fit into NUC or even small form factor.

looks like all our messages clashed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any comments on the specs from the Linux box Little Green Conputer is selling as a Roon Server?

They’re silent on specs. BYO would appear to be a lot more cost effective.

Yeah. I haven’t done a BYO in so long I wouldn’t know where to begin. Would love to get some ideas.