Support for ARMv8 as well as ARMv7? [Coming in 1.3]

Yip, it’s a great endpoint for deaf plebs like us, worth at least 16.41x asking price :joy:

I am thinking about trying what you have done. I started with a raspberry pi. It’s OK but seems like the C2 might be better. Would you say even a novice like me can do it with your instructions?

hi Mark,
it is pretty foolproof. Good instructions on Armbian site how to burn the image.
All the prereqs already come installed (alsa etc) for Roon Ednpoint…
Burn the image.
Connect Internet via Ethernet port, some keyboard via USB, monitor via HDMI and power. I recommend u use eMMC card as it is faster. I bought a bundle in Europe via www.pollin.de where case, powersupply, emmc card are about 60w EUR making emmc card about 10EUR or so … andyhow microssdcard is ok as well for the purpase as it’s only ‘slower’ (noticably) when installing things or compiling … but if youre into player that you do not need to touch - it does not matter.
Install image (Xenial Server) … boot it up … userid root and pwd ‘1234’. then it will ask you for creation of regular account so you don’t operate as ‘root’ user all the time. pick a username and a password.

the ONLY thing (which may not impact your operation) is that due to some bug somewhere Odroid-C2 board gets nameserver as the one from your ISP so it doesnt know how to lookup machines on your lan by name. That is fixed with
sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf

after that you type those 5-6 commands (if you can use remote terminal from pc or mac or type at the odroid-c2 keyboard) you will be fine.
After that it is fire and forget :slight_smile:
glad to help if i can !
cheers

@support, any update on ARMv8 builds of Roon Bridge?

1 Like

@support, would LOVE to see ARMv8 build as well … any hope for something soon ?
thank you !

1 Like

It’s done, I’ve tested it, it works as expected… Expect it’ll go public with 1.3

2 Likes

Looking forward :smile: !!!

Really cool, more to test :slight_smile:

Gahabana:

I decided to try an Odroid C2 endpoint build for Roon. Just a bit of confusion on the Armbian download. When I go to the link you provided, there is no Xenial link to click, only Jessie Server and Jessie Desktop. Is Jessie Server equivalent to Xenial Ubuntu? Also, for my build I purchased the 8GB eMMC Black Module C2 Linux (Red Box) on Amazon, which includes some version of Ubuntu preloaded. Should I try it or just re-image using the appropriate download?

Steve

hi Steve,
yeah just checked Armbian site and you are right only Debian images are there for download. I think it should work out of the box as described in this post: Support for ARMv8 as well as ARMv7? [Coming in 1.3]
if Debian for some reason does not work (and I don’t remember know precisely if Debian Jessy does come with 32bit libs … if it does NOT you do need Ubuntu Xenial build).
So there are 3 possibilities:

1. Download Jessie Server from the site and try it out. If it fails on installation of ‘armhf’ then Jessie will not work.
  2. If you do have Ubuntu PC server running 64bit version of 16.04 Ubuntu you can really easily build your image with no technical skills. See here : https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/
  3. If none of the above works, Ill build image for you over the weekend so you can download it. Send me a PM please.

Cool part is as it uses Ubuntu repositories you will be able to update/upgrade system for a long time. 16.04 (Xenial Ubuntu) is LTS edition supported for more then 3-4 years … I have PC server running Roon Server on UBuntu Linux and its cool to see that same updates that my PC server gets, i get on small ARM Roon Endpoints :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick response. As a matter of fact, I just built a NUC server with 16.04 Ubuntu Server 64 installed, so Option 2 should be easy and probably should be my first option. This is all a bit of an experiment for me. Right now I do have my Logitech Squeezebox Touch running as an endpoint. It has been modified to output I2S to my DAC and sounds great. Wanted to do the same with the Odroid C2 and compare performance.

Is it in? In the public version of 1.3?

Got a C2 in transit so very interested in this too.

It has been baked – probably an oversight it’s not yet available for download at the Linux install page.

@brian or @danny can probably shed a light.

Sorry guys, we forgot to update the links on http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall. It’s all up now.

1 Like

Whooohooo ARM support!

Could test it on a Restek MAMS+ (arm7 arch linux) successfull, so this device (DAC+Renderer) is now a Roon Ready device :slight_smile: