Talking to Roon from another VLAN (I got it working)

Were you not able to allow the one client access to the music vlan in my case via pfsense?

I use opnsense and have dedicated old android tablets on the music vlan and everything is isolated, except one roaming personal phone, which is allowed access.

not sure I follow your question, but yes, udp-proxy-2020 supports pfSense (and is what I personally use). Works fine with VLAN’s and VPN’s.

It works without the need of proxies was my simplified point.

1 Like

Any chance you can provide an pfsense armv6 binary for a Netgate SG-3100? I tried building it from source on the 3100, but am getting errors in the makefile.

I don’t have the way to cross compile for FreeBSD (yet), but errors in the makefile is no doubt because you have BSD Make and not GNU Make. Install that and run gmake.

You’ll also need libpcap and necessary headers as well as Go.

I was able to install gmake and libpcap, but Git and Go is a no go for FreeBSD Armv6 on a netgate SG3100. Any way you can make a version using something other than git/go? Perhaps porting to C++ using Gomoku

Well it’s easy to avoid needing git… just download the code onto another computer and then scp it over.

The Go requirement is a bit harder since all the code is written in Go. I looked into what it would take to cross-compile on FreeBSD for pfSense on ARM, but it’s nearly as easy as it was with Linux/Ubuntu so I gave up after a couple of hours of playing around with it.

I looked up Gomoku… looks like the project has been abandoned and hasn’t been touched in 4 years which is pretty ancient in Go terms. If you want to give it a try, by all means, but I don’t think it’s even worth trying.

Maybe if enough people use ARM/pfSense I’ll look into using BPF directly on FreeBSD instead of going through libpcap so cross-compiling would be super simple, but honestly it’s not a priority at this point.

Also, I’d point out that since unless you need Roon to work over a VPN, then you can always use udp-broadcast-relay-redux that I mention in my original post. That is written in pure C and should be easy to compile if you have a C compiler on your box.

I’m mainly looking to use it over OpenVPN, so udp-broadcast-relay-redux won’t work for me. Roon server is at one of my homes, I want to use it from another. Maybe the folks at roon will shift to multicast soon. Anyway, thanks for the speedy replies.

Just finished setting up my home network with Unifi Dream Machine. I have a few VLANs defined and everything is working well (including airplay), but not Roon do to the design limitation. Pretty bummed about that.

Does anyone know if resolving this problem is in the product roadmap? More people are going to be setting up vlans going forward rather than fewer.

@Robert_Schuff: If I had to guess, it’s very low on their priority list. Have you tried udp-proxy-2020 or udp-broadcast-relay-redux?

Btw, I just saw your post in the other thread… I think you got your messages backwards :slight_smile:

Anyways, I have no idea about the Dream Machine… I don’t own one and don’t know the hardware/etc. I’m happy to help you as best as I can, but a lot will depend on you.

For example: can you ssh into your Dream Machine and tell me what hardware it is running?

Running: uname -a

Would be a good start.

Hi Aaron, Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Here’s the output from “uname -a”
Linux <> 4.1.37-v1.8.5.2964-30c04be #1 SMP Tue Dec 29 05:40:16 MST 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

The processor I think is: Arm Cortex-A57 Quad-Core at 1.7 GHz

The UDM is an “all-in-one” machine from Ubiquiti. I don’t exactly know how the devices it contains maps to their product line, but it has these components:

High‑Performance 802.11ac 4x4 Wave 2 Access Point (AP)
Managed 4-Port Gigabit Switch
Advanced Security Gateway
UniFi Network Controller

You can try this: https://synfin.net/misc/udp-proxy-2020-0.0.6-linux-arm64-static

thanks Aaron. I presume I can follow/modify the install/usage instructions referenced by the link on the github page?

BTW, I noticed you enjoy roadracing. I used to race in the early 80s here in Portland and managed to do pretty well locally. Fun times!

USG runs a very different flavor version of Linux than the Dream Machine. The USG instructions probably won’t help very much.

I don’t know off the top of my head how to add another service so it restarts on boot and survive firmware upgrades on the Dream Machine. I’ve never owned a Dream Machine (Pro). Not sure if someone here or perhaps on the https://community.ui.com forums or maybe even Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/) can help?

Basically you’ll need to first figure out how services are started. Might be systemd, upstart or Sys V style init scripts. Then figure out if there is a place you can put the script/config file and binary on the system where it won’t be deleted next time you upgrade firmware.

How to configure udp-proxy-2020 on the command line should be pretty straight forward. If you have questions I’m happy to help.

Glad to meet a fellow motorcycle racer here on the forums. You must have a lot more money for music now that you’re not racing. :smiley:

OK will investigate a bit. thanks for all the help.

Racing pro-tip: How to make a small fortune racing? Start with a large fortune.

Hey @Aaron_Turner, I think I found a good resource for customizing the Unifi Dream Machine (and Pro) on Reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/hm044t/udmudmp_onboot_scripts_now_persists_through/

And a github here:

Looks like I can install the “on-boot-script” readme is here:

Does this look about right to you?

Oh and I have two vlans on which roon should be visible. Does your solution cover that use case?

Hey, yeah, that looks like it would work.

I can probably do a PR and add support for udp-proxy-2020. I assume you wouldn’t mind testing? :slight_smile:

sure I can test it. Although none of this looks particularly hard, I will say it is a little outside of my expertise/experience, so be gentle when I ask (more!) lame questions. LOL

What interfaces/vlans do you want to roon to work on? Needs to be where your Roon Core/server is as well as any Roon clients.

Also, can you provide the output of ifconfig ?