Terrible customer service from HQPlayer

Because I have a i7 8700k based windows pc that I can use. Wouldn’t make sense to purchase a new mac (what model would you recommend Btw?) when I already have a pc that can do the job.

Hmm… with such a machine you should have bought the windows version of HQP indeed. I have a windows version I don’t use anymore. I rather need the Embedded version now. ouch

Why don’t you sell your license or try find someone to swap it with ?

@jussi_laako

I ask one more time as the license policy is not 100% clear to me:

Can I get the HQPlayer embedded at 50% discount if I already have a valid Windows or Mac license ?

Or can you explain when the 50% discount is valid ?

I agree with this, the OP hit the ‘righteous indignation’ button very quickly in the posted exchange. That being said the original request was not an unreasonable one IMO.

Unfortunately no. It is a new product with lot of extra development and a new lifecycle (updates) and new features (more to come). The ones who jumped on early test versions got Embedded for free if they had Desktop for Linux.

Desktop 3.x owners have been now getting free updates for close to 5 years (Desktop 3.0.0 was released May 31st 2013) and continue to get so for time being (schedule for Desktop 4.x has not been decided yet).

So far, all sales has been new licenses for Desktop 3.x, but this likely cannot go on forever. I should make new products and/or new major releases of Desktop to sustain things.

When you already have either Windows or Mac/Linux license, you can get the other platform covered at 50% discount. Then you have two licenses and all three supported platforms covered.

Web shop offers this bundle when making a purchase, but it is also available at later time by asking me.

Reason for this license split is cost structure split between Windows and other platforms. Windows is just plain different in all possible ways and also needs separate development tools, signing keys and such.

License keys contain email address and name and are thus personal…

For what it’s worth, I don’t agree with the OPs approach. However, Jussi’s intransigence to the fallout is lamentable.

Instead of securing a customer and advocate of HQ Player he has alienated potential customers.

Enough has been said. No need to flog a dead horse. But this thread is an indelible record for future customers to judge whether or not to buy HQ Player.

I spent my career creating/assembling support teams for technology companies (both small and very large), and found that it was almost always optimal to try hard to find a way to take care of customer requests. Regardless of the OP’s approach, there is now a long thread in an important forum (roon’s) about questionable interaction (whether fair or not) with HQPlayer as a company. While I have considerable sympathy for HQPlayer’s creator as a one man shop trying to make a living, from a business point of view, there’s a lesson here.

1 Like

BF1C79CE-3DC3-4FE6-BCCF-E1E848F81FD5

7 Likes