The solution to DB corruption

Good post, but if Roon learn anything they should implement a dedicated support application for issues rather than rely on picking issues out from a forum, it just leads to frustration and prevents any analysis on issue volumes and types.

2 Likes

Uwe while I do not disagree with your rules and apply a similar set of tagging rules myself, it is more than the import. It includes your full listening history that is now lost.
For anoraks like me, maybe less of an issue as I have last.fm history since 2008 and now pay for the Pro service, but I would still miss my library.

I have taken on one of the suggestions made to make a monthly backup separate from the main backup, and now have three sets running for over a year, so we can all learn something from this.
I hope Roon learn the biggest lesson of all of us

1 Like

Hi @Uwe_Albrecht
I donā€™t know if you are trying to call me out on something? Do you want to discredit me for not being nice to Roon?

Maybe this is a misunderstanding, but I think I need to clarify something: I did not sign up for a free open source subscription where I rely on friendly community courtesy support. Rather, I am a customer of a paid software based on proprietary code that cannot be supported by an open source community. And Iā€™m sorry if what I say doesnā€™t meet your expectations, but unfortunately I have no choice but to use this forum to aks support questions (and to be at the mercy of the provider to answer). So I am sorry that I am not here to hold your hand and to sing ā€œKumbayaā€ together.

I am aware that Roon is a consumer software. But does this mean that the provider has no obligation to prevent data loss of customers? Currently, there is a crisis situation for some users, as they have irrevocably lost data. Canā€™t we expect support from the vendor? Is there no obligation (not even a moral one) on the part of Roon to assist its customers in overcoming the crisis? You may not like it, but Iā€™m not going to apologize for not letting Roon off the hook so easily now. Itā€™s time for Roon to take responsibility.

Iā€™m sorry if we got lost in technical details in the discussion. I am aware that there are many users here who do not want to deal with this. However, if the manufacturer makes misleading statements that could lead an uninformed customer to arbitrarily replace hardware at his own expense, I simply have to intervene. I find it unfair when the manufacturer does not acknowledge the obviously known weaknesses in its software design and instead tempts customers to replace expensive hardware without further analysis.

7 Likes

Here, no one should belittle the other or ensure that even humor is hidden.

Everyone has his view on things and shares it as he sees it.

2 Likes

Sure my listening history of the last few days shouldnā€™t disappear immediately, but why should I look down to the smallest detail of what I heard on December 24, 2015? The playlists, the tags and the images seem most important to me and for that I make my own thoughts to solve dependencies.

What do people miss most after the rebuild?

Tags, playlists and istening history (several years worth)

Doesnā€™t impact me Uwe but I can still sympathize and be empathetic to those suffering as I am sure you are too.

I agree, tags and playlists are more important than a detailed listening history, but to value one above the other might be to miss the point. I have a database that goes back to the 2nd of December 2017, and the first track I played with Roon was Midnight in Harlem by the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Is it vital I keep that information? Probably not, but Iā€™d be sad to lose it nonetheless.

2 Likes

I think there are also differences in the way people use Roon: I never use playlists, for example, but I do jiggle/massage album metadata which perhaps heavy Tidal/Qobuz users donā€™t. Either way, loosing all those invested man hours is annoying to say the least, and if it happened to me, I probably wouldnā€™t bother investing time in doing it again.

3 Likes

I would be seriously questioning the time investment as well

If Roon was to get smart enough to look at your history to create new music pathways to listen to, youā€™ll be really fed up if they loose that data.

1 Like

Listening history might just be one of the most important things actually. It impacts Valence recommendations.

5 Likes

Are you serious Uwe? Sure, everyone has a different opinion or taste, but what you are ā€œseeing as futileā€ is imho what Roon is more or less about ā€¦ā€¦
Anyway, back to some more music listening, time to dust of the woofers on 802ā€™s
Have nice evening.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a strong argument, but not for me.

If Valence needs years of history to learn my listening habits, it wonā€™t be very successful. Spotify learns in a few days with a few examples and I can redirect the AI in the short term if I want.

1 Like

Yes, but everyone is allowed to have his own opinion here.

I think in this modern era it seems to have become poisonous to accept anotherā€™s point of view as being salient, or to back down from oneā€™s own argument for a moment and listen. This, unfortunately, is the effect of relative anonymity online and individuals feeling the desperate need to be acknowledged; their point of view, their knowledge, their experienceā€¦ the art of discussion - the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas - is somewhat dead these days and has been supplanted by exclamation - the action of loudly complaining or protesting; a loud complaint or protest; a derogatory outcry; a ā€˜vociferous reproachā€™ - and simply contentiousness - given to contention; prone to strife or dispute; quarrelsome.

Itā€™s not everywhere. Itā€™s not everyone. But it is much much more prevalent and usual, in my experience. And itā€™s a shame. We feel much more like spoiled whining babies than adults exchanging thoughts and ideas. In. My. Opinion. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m as guilty as the next person in occasionally contributing to this as well. I wish I were above it. I wish we all were. Because what we have here isā€¦ failure to communicate. And itā€™s really obnoxious and unpleasant to be around. Merry Christmas!

Edit: By the way, the reason I keep posting about this stuff is that I keep coming here to dig into how people use Roon and learn and explore, but every time I give it a chance I run aground on some thread where people are arguing just for the sake of it it seems. One person says blue, so another says yellow. Just because. Itā€™sā€¦ well itā€™s useless. So, my point is Iā€™m not trying to only point out the negative stuff, butā€¦ I canā€™t seem to avoid it. Except by simply not visiting this site, thatā€™s the only option, as itā€™s becoming more and more clearā€¦

13 Likes

I, for one, certainly hope it does not come to that.
Level headed, informative posts are always welcome and a positive blessing.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

3 Likes

Also, just to add, there are people contributing by way of online translatorsā€¦ which if anything like Valence, may lead to some ā€œlost in translationā€ misunderstandings. So a plea to the English masters, when in doubt, perhaps cut some slack. If Iā€™m stating the obvious, my apologies.

4 Likes

I am in this situation of relying on AI in translation. I thought Deepl was doing a good job. Google never hits it that well. I see this when I read translated texts in German. I realize that humor canā€™t be translated.

Is AI getting out the poison syringe or are we poisoning ourselves? A factual discourse of different points of view with a learning curve is good for all of us.

DeepL does a fantastic job. The problem is likely german humor - they killed all the funny people.

2 Likes

:rofl: ------------------------------------------------ :rofl: (translated with)

2 Likes