The Wine Thread

So is the El Tel name a Terry Venables, Crystal Palace connection?

Very much so. When the press tagged the great man as El Tel after he signed to manage Barcelona, it became my de facto nickname too.

I’m a Spurs fan, so a Venables fan too.

Back to vino. Tonight’s odd combo of chicken, smoked pancetta, roasted fennel, with herbs and capers.
An odd wine too

1 Like

Very odd
 Don’t see those two varietals blended very often. I can only think of one other I have come across with Pinot Noir and Shiraz together. Pinot being happier in cooler climate is not bad out of Orange, and cool climate Shiraz carries more white pepper spice to my palate, so I imagine that wine would puzzle people tasting it blind.

Spurs are a team with a great history. I remember as a kid going to White Hart Lane to watch Spurs vs QPR when Ardilles was still playing for THFC.

I’m an AFC Wimbledon man. Football in the community was very important in the deprived areas where I grew up, so I have nothing but contempt for Charles Koppel and what he did.

Please do let us all know your take on the Pinot Shiraz once you’ve had a good look at it.

I’d rate it a 6.5 out of 10.
Red fruit, smokey raspberries, smoked white pepper, plummy almost pruney.

Not much length, but pleasant front and mid pallet. Would suit duck, maybe roast pork, maybe even miso salmon.

Orange is worth a trip. Beautiful wines, very elegant. A distinct terroir.

Just finished it off, and it was far better 24hrs later. Softer and more length

First day in the Barossa Valley for nearly a year.

You’d like this place, @Graeme_Finlayson :wink:

The long suffering Mrs Tel about to get stuck in to an Elderton tasting:

Me in the barrel hall at Sons of Eden this afternoon:

Just the two wineries today, but a decent haul of 9 cases bought.

5 Likes

I need to convince Mrs F that we need more wine storage, and that a hundred or so bottles is really not approaching excessive in any way, shape or form!

I have to say thanks for your recommendation - the Elderton Ashmead is by far the best red Mrs F has ever tasted. For me, it’s definitely in the top handful. I think she’s coming round to the view that splashing out on a really superb red every now and again isn’t ridiculously lavish or indulgent - it’s just nice to have the occasional treat! :grinning:

3 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly, mid week quaffers are great to have regularly, but it does you really well to have some special treats on hand to celebrate those special occasions, like Friday. As vices go at least it is genuinely pleasurable and you’re always learning.

2 Likes

Who likes exquisite wines, here? Because I love white from Bourgogne!!

3 Likes

Lost our Grand Final 4-2 today

Rare rump cap, roast potatoes in duck fat, rosemary and sea salt. Yorkshire puds, glazed carrots.

Radiohead as I’m feeling a bit glum😃

2 Likes

One of the best wine I had the pleasure to enjoy, last week.

1 Like

Been blighted with a heavy cold for the last week so tonight a little something to complement the Beans on Toast. :yum:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Friends over from the UK at the moment. We gave it a nudge with these 4 last night.

2 Likes

Tonight’s treat

I’m tempted to visit Argentina

Nice selection El tel. I just sold a 2010 vintage 707 for $700. I’ve still got 2 left for Ron. And the Clarendon :astonished:, I love their Brooklands, never tried the Australis

I’m a Two Hands fan atm too.

Did the Poms enjoy as much as you? Last time I drank a 707 with my bother, he swilled it down with a Stella, and said it was okđŸ«Ł

My Brit friends loved the wines. The 2005 My Hands was a nose in front of the Australis, but there wasn’t much in it.

I stopped buying from two hands a couple of years ago. It’s very detached from the earlier customers that put it on the map. I mainly buy from the smaller, family producers in the Barossa now - Elderton, Powell (soon to be Neldner Road), Sons of Eden, Yelland and Papps plus a few others. The wineries bought out by Pernod Ricard, Treasury and the like, or those that forget the debt they owe the local communities will not get much love from me.

Busy day today, just enjoying few of the best Bourgogne wines.

4 Likes

Just been out to do our only bit of Christmas shopping - a trip down to Kuitpo (just between McLaren Vale and Adelaide Hills) for lunch and to stock up on fruit courses. Courtesy of our friends at Coates, we’re now replenished with cases of their brilliant Blanc de Blancs, Limestone Coast Shiraz, a very moreish Cabernet Shiraz (2017), a delicious Dolcetto / Barbera / Sangiovese blend, and The Iberian which is a delicious easy drinking but far from simple blend of Tempranillo, Touriga Nacional, Syrah, Monastrell, Garnacha and Malbec.

Oh, and a bottle of their newly released Vin D’Or - a wine they only managed to make 20 cases of, and will lose money on every one. It’s only took 10 years to get it ready for bottling.

I do love living in South Australia

2 Likes

a GSM, with Rioja, a grape from Portugal, and one from Bordeaux by way of Argentina thrown in
sounds fascinating.

1 Like