TIDAL cuts 40 jobs, shifts its primary focus away from music

Here’s more info on a Block move with Tidal: https://investors.block.xyz/news/news-details/2023/Introducing-TIDAL-Collabs-An-Easy-Way-for-Artists-to-Find-Their-Next-Collaborator/default.aspx

8 Likes

Just asked Chat GPT what this might mean.

Me:
What do you think Tidal means by ‘product-centric’? what changes would you expect to see?

ChatGPT:
The term “product-centric” in the context of TIDAL’s recent strategy shift likely indicates a focus on enhancing and diversifying the technological features and services of their platform, rather than primarily concentrating on the music content itself. This approach can involve several potential changes and developments:

1. Enhanced User Experience: TIDAL might invest in improving the user interface and experience, making the platform more intuitive and user-friendly. This could include better personalization features, more efficient navigation, and streamlined access to content.
  2. Innovative Features: The company may introduce new tech-centric features, such as advanced algorithms for music discovery, personalized playlists, or interactive experiences. These features could leverage AI and machine learning to provide a more customized listening experience.
  3. Expanded Content Offerings: While moving away from being purely music-centric, TIDAL could expand into other types of audio content, like podcasts, audiobooks, or even venture into video streaming.
  4. Integration with Other Technologies: TIDAL might explore integrations with other tech products and services, such as smart home devices, wearables, or automotive systems. This could involve developing new apps or features that sync seamlessly with various devices and platforms.
  5. Data Analytics and Tools for Creators: A product-centric approach could also mean providing artists and content creators with better analytics and tools to understand their audience, manage their presence on the platform, and monetize their work more effectively.
  6. Collaboration and Partnerships: TIDAL may seek partnerships with other tech companies to integrate their services or co-develop new features, expanding their ecosystem and reaching new customer segments.
  7. Subscription Models and Pricing: Changes in their business model, such as varied subscription tiers with different features and benefits, could also be part of becoming more product-centric.

These changes aim to strengthen TIDAL’s position in a highly competitive digital streaming market, characterized by rapid technological advances and evolving consumer preferences. By focusing on the ‘product’ aspect, TIDAL aims to offer more than just music streaming, potentially creating a more diverse and integrated digital entertainment platform.

Until “shifts its primary focus away from music” can be confirmed by a second source, we should treat it as a rumour.

Why bother with the MQA → FLAC “Max” transition & all the costs that involved? This sounds more like a disgruntled staff member or former staff member. There is nothing in the article to indicate Tidal is moving away from music streaming.
The produce centric approach could be anything.

for those of you concerned about a potential emphasis on Tidal Connect, ~30% of Tidal subscribers use 3P apps. those integrations are not going away.

1 Like

Qobuz strike me as being very fragile, I mean we have no connect feature from them yet, something they have been promising for a long time.

Not my recollection at all, I remember instances of hate speech rising & platform moderation being non-existent as they were among the lay offs.

2 Likes

Given the presentation I sat in on the other day, Qobuz Connect is on the way and is in testing. No release date given.

2 Likes

Sucks that people are losing their jobs because of this, but I’m glad to see Tidal going away.

Also posted by Mixmag, but we need Tidal to address these rumours:

https://mixmag.net/read/tidal-layoffs-40-employees-worldwide-spotify-songtradr-bandcamp-economy-news

Wouldn’t call this ‘rumour’ anymore; the news appeared first on Bloomberg and was later all over the usual news outlets, worldwide. Last week I read an interview with a content curator who was let go as part of the 40 who were laid off. I think that at this point we can safely assume the news to correspond to hard facts.

As to the strategic outlook of Tidal, the wording of the announcement of course warrants clarification…

1 Like

It’s Chromecast and it’s not gapless.
They’re still working on a connect feature to parallel that utilised by Spotify and Tidal, they’ve been working on it since God was a child.

1 Like

Why on earth would you want Tidal to go away?

2 Likes

I cut back to Tidal Hi-Fi and use that as my CD quality source for cellular streaming. I use Qobuz for high resolution. I would not want to see Tidal “go away” and I don’t think they will. The sky is not falling.

2 Likes

I have settled on the combination of Qobuz and Deezer. Deezer has solid CD quality FLAC music. They have many themed mixes which I have added as presets on my CXNv2. For cellular and earbuds at work their SQ is plenty enough.

Roon and Qobuz at home.

1 Like

Time for Harman to buy Tidal and Roon it. :laughing: Imagine if the Tidal app was a streaming-only version of Roon?

1 Like

Not sure if he is interested.

4 Likes

Very interesting that Tidal is switching focus on “products” when not many people can even recall what products they make – myself included. That does not bode well for them. Being one of the top music streaming providers is no easy feat; I’m very surprised to see this shift. [putting on my Nostradamus hat] I predict bad things in Tidal’s future.

They have a magazine… that is special!!