Tidal “HiFi Plus” Introduced

Can you elaborate on Spotify Connect and sound quality?

To this point isn’t it simply a Chromecast clone (with gapless) but just for Spotify, and still limited to 320KB

It has a lot of promise for the future, but everyone will be having a tick list of XXX connect that they need to support as Darko’s holy Trinity goes up in number

Tidal reminds me of what Forest Gump’s mother told him as a child… "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”

That’s exactly what Tidal is, even with its new tiers. Doesn’t matter what file you choose, you may or may not get MQA (most likely will).

This shouldn’t have to be a guessing game, guys. If you want MQA. select MQA and get it. If you want FLAC, select FLAC and get it. If you want dark chocolate, pick dark chocolate and get it.

You don’t go to the Porsche dealer, purchase (in cash) a brand new 911 GT3 and they give you a 1994 Pontiac Grand AM.

3 Likes

Do you have any source that proves that 16/44.1 is usually downsampled MQA?
To me it sounds like urban myth or fake news from the anti MQA camp.
Because to me it is more likely that they just use the 16/44.1 encoded flack files they already have encoded previously before MQA was a thing.
And why downsample the MQA file when they have the source file. Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.
I am not pro MQA I might even consider to downgrade to HiFi tier if it is cheaper in my country.

The tests were done by a user on SNA with my input on what tracks and artists to try.

When we chose songs from an artist that had all PCM replaced by mqa, we reviewed the signal path. I shared findings on this forum and was told that what we were seeing was downsampled mqa.

I’m losing the will to live on this, so I’m not really interested in defending the position. Please do feel free to search the boards, or dismiss my response as you prefer. If you do search, then pay particular attention to the input/responses from hifi industry professionals that follow.

It is what it is.

4 Likes

Is there also a response of the blog author too?

I believe there is going to be, keep an eye out on you tube

1 Like

What forum is SNA? or thread on here that has this all in so I can peruse it.

Er no - what isn’t more likely is to magically expect to get a non MQA sourced file track when you’ve actually selected an MQA track for streaming, especially when there is very frequently no non MQA track alternative to select in the first place!

TIDAL have removed most the non MQA tracks that were once available to select - why do you think they still physically have them?

Please do as Terry suggests and review the mentioned posts, especially by Lumin’s Peter Lie whose devices officially support MQA and is certainly not into spreading urban myths/fake news or in the anti MQA camp.

By all means downgrade to TIDAL’s HiFi tier if & when it comes available to you (or simply change to the HiFi quality setting from the Masters quality setting), but don’t expect to get anything other than either original MQA-CD 16bit/44.1kHz tracks or ‘doctored’ hi-res MQA tracks, if you haven’t been fortunate to be able to select any non MQA tracks from the few that are still available on TIDAL.

2 Likes

Let’s face it , I don’t care how deep Dorsey’s pockets are , Tidal changed their music files WITHOUT notifying their customers .

This is a firing offense and why I moved to Qobuz .

I will add either Spotify or Apple , depending on what’s offered in June .

6 Likes

Read the first 20 posts in this thread. It’s in there somewhere.

SNA = steereo.net.au

1 Like

I wish him good luck. :slight_smile:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: GoldenSound’s response to Bob Stuart’s blog response

I did compare QOBUZ and TIDAL flac files together (Same songs). Identical bitrates.
Im done with this nonsense.
Use Tidal or don’t, its all same and i bet none of you can tell the difference there.
MQA is different tho, the pre ringing is fixed in MQA that is present in regular DACs. Thats why its not “bit perfect” but ill take that any day over unnatural FLAC files pre ringing. Sure good (expensive) DAC filtering can fix it, kinda, but im fine with 400€ MQA dac.
Drum hits etc are “hits” and not “flops”.

5 Likes

Hi there, I am confused about all these oppinions, what should I choose Hi-Fi or Hi-Fi Plus, I am on Windows 10 Pro latest updates all drivers also latest, my listening device is JBL Bluetooth Headphones good ones & Logitech PC speakers with 200 W Subwoofer, please any advice will be greatly appreciated, I am listening through WASAPI.

Get the HiFi. If you don’t think HiFi Plus cost too much extra you may consider it too.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @wklie I will act accordingly. :wink:

@SKBubba I agree with you…MQA is discernable but depends on everything… It will depend on AMP, Speakers, Headphones, Transport, DAC…

I am on a Schitt Magnius XLR output, using a Chord Qutest, on Oppo PM-1s. Absolute difference.
Using Roon vs. Tidal on this setup, Roon does something to the MQA vs. Tidal’s app. Not sure why it sounds a bit different… Maybe decoder version, who knows.

Running the same test on Roon, same exact album and track on 3 different formats. I have the DSD64 version, Tidal version MQA, Tidal FLAC version. Nothing compares to the native DSD64 version. Its ridiculously different. DSD by far much better. Better in separation, noise, air, detail… MQA or FLAC not even close, but then problem is DSD doesn’t have a lot of content.

As per MQA on Roon feels like there is slight “tube” warmer feeling. MQA on Tidal is a bit precise and “cooler” or sharp. Detail is just different. Weird…

Now FLAC files is pretty good, but really Roon DSP to DSD64, its just pure amazing. As good if not better than standlone FLAC file without DSP. Separation, Detail, Air, maybe just a slight more noise. etc all there.

Ever since Roon, I was like either DSD or I just stick with Tidal, no more need to really buy FLAC files other than to support an artist I love. I purchase my tracks from HDTracks or now gone :sneezing_face: Acoustic Sounds… People are also right that the FLACs are just as good as MQAs…

So all in all it depends… I have speakers at home albeit Modified Polk Audio LSI15s recapped with mundorfs and clarity caps running through a Denon X6400h… running through Oppo203… Can I tell the difference? NOPE… Doesn’t matter what I play on it… All the same ish…

Like John Darko says, its whats right for you and your system… Nothing is definitive, but its all a journey. Enjoy it, play with it, try it…

But I tell you I love FLAC on Roon or DSD… Too bad I can’t test Tidal FLAC vs Tidal MQA on the same track, but maybe one day. In the US, Tidal is still Premium or Regular… if they offer it we will see…

1 Like

So in the Apple app in the US they listed Premium for $12.99 as lossless and HiFi, which includes MQA for $25.99. This was the first I’ve heard of Premium having lossless quality and no AAC offering. But only saw this within the app. On the website it lists Premium as lossy, then HIFi with lossless and MQA.

Anyway I figured I give Tidal another shot while waiting for Spotify HiFi to be released. Either it’s a scam or it hasn’t switched over, but the Premium service is still all aac. Doesn’t matter what tracks you play. I quickly asked Apple for refund. I made sure right settings in roon. Only offered normal and HiFi, no master setting.

Also, getting sub thru the app is $3 more than online, so another ripoff. Charge more to cover apple’s 30% fee. I only did thru app since it clearly said it was lossless quality.

Oh, so it’s looks like it may actually be an issue with roon. With Tidal app you can switch between normal and high and with Tidal Connect, I can hear the improvement. It’s not picking up the high level setting. Put in ticket to find out what’s happening

Here’s the new subscription levels I’m seeing.