Tidal, Qobuz or both?

I have 434 links to Tidal and 411 links to Qobuz. The majority (302 from each), are duplicates. I like to listen to Tidal MQA when using my MQA DAC and Qobuz when using my Oppo 203 DAC.

Thatā€™s exactly what i did with the post you replied toā€¦?

What does this mean and how did you find these numbers?

Ah, I see that now. Iā€™d missed your earlier post. :slight_smile:

The disappointing thing for me is that Qobuz hasnā€™t added any of the stuff thatā€™s been missing since I started scheduled syncs. It hasnā€™t been terribly long though, so Iā€™m hoping to see some improvement over time.

Also, a little off-topic, but Iā€™m hoping Qobuz improves their CarPlay integration, which is currently a red hot mess ā€” at best.

1 Like

Click Focus - Format - Tidal or Qobuz.

That tells you the number of Albums or Tracks, depending on where you searched for, Iā€™m guessing you mean albums. Albums can be synced between services with Soundiiz.

I am more focused on Playlists. There is no way to know how many Tidal songs or Qobuz songs are entries on Roon Playlists. More importantly, no way to swap them out, one service for another.

I have links to albums on both Tidal and Qobuz. My point is that the majority are linked on BOTH Tidal and Qobuz because I like to listen to both. I play complete albums. I donā€™t fool with individual tracks.

Just cancelled Tidal. Gone through all and found 99.9 % on Qobuz bu manually searching all my Tidal versions. A few are not available and can live without others I have bought. See how I get on with just Qobuz, been meaning to do this for while so have been purposely adding all new material via Qobuz.

1 Like

Lucky you. Personally, it hurts me to pay Tidal because their musical culture just pains me every time I open the app. That being said, when trying Qobuz, I didnā€™t feel that the recommendations were more effective, but at least it felt like they were recommending good music that I could get into.

Anyway, I did the count for the music I was listening to and I wasnā€™t as lucky at you. Tidal found 81% of my searches, while Qobuz found only 74%. The most effective in those terms was Amazon, with 95%.

If anyone is interested (and I mentioned this in another thread), I compared quite a few services and you can see the results here. I took detailed notes while I was trying all these streaming service for a review I published on Medium.

1 Like

Several artists releases this week I want, not on Qobuz. Typical. I think I will be back to both before long.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s the answer.

I feel your pain :wink:

I was very happy with the Tidal/Roon combo but having followed the MQA debate for a while and being reluctant to swap out/supplement perfectly good kit (2 x Oppo 203s) just to unpack MQA fully, I decided to try Qobuz on the 30 day freebie.

Iā€™m trying (albeit unsuccessfully so far) only to buy SACD/DVD/Blu-Ray versions of stuff I really like these days and even then mainly for 5.1 surround mixes where available. My 3000 CDs are already on a Synology NAS. I was surprised to see so much (Steven Wilson) stuff available in 24/96 that I never even knew was available in hires. All this plays perfectly despite my Meridian Expolorer at the office being a pre-MQA model. So far havenā€™t seen much in the way of sleeve notes or lyrics on Qobuz vs. Tidal but maybe that will take time. My first 24 hours of the 30 days and Iā€™m very impressed. Did have a bit of a faff about getting my account password recognised by Roon but weā€™re there now.

Forgive the possibly dumb question. Will Qobuz/Roon suggest new artists for me based on my current library or songs I have played?

The Roon radio seems quite good, itā€™s definitely pointed me towards artists I havenā€™t got in my library.

Hmm, it would seem to imply that it does, based on the sort criteria in the ā€˜Overviewā€™ screen -

Thereā€™s this from the album detail screen-

Youā€™ve noticed these already?
Not sure itā€™s so much on what youā€™ve played, but rather whatā€™s in your library.

Ok, just reread your question and stressed different words.
I guess my answer begged the question.

Damn (adjective or verb, stress as you like :slightly_smiling_face:) lawyers.

1 Like

@xxx yes, adjective/verb distinction crucial.

Are those shots from Qobuz? Or Roon?

Best case would be that Qobuz does this, so I can find new stuff to play at work to diffuse despair over being a slave to the law.

1 Like

Shots are from Roon.

Donā€™t know about Qobuz, but from threads Iā€™ve lurked on it seems that Qobuz might do what you want.

:rofl:

I know what you mean. I was chained to a desk (writing code) for a long time.

2 Likes

34 years behind a desk, 16 years of retirement. Iā€™ll take retirement.

2 Likes

@xxx thank you. Can anyone weigh in as to whether Qobuz Itself actually provides recommendations ?

yeah this question always cracks me upā€¦ we used to spend $100 / month for 5 cds. These had maybe 8-10 decent tracks on then and the rest were just filler.
Now you can stream in stunning quality just about every song there is out there for $20/ month and people bitch about that? If you have to contemplate if you can swing an extra 20/mo then maybe this high end audio hobby is not your thing.
People need to realize that we are getting an absolute bargain right now and it is the artists who are taking it in the shorts!

5 Likes