Tidal’s new hi-res FLAC option couldn’t be more annoying

And just simple example of where Qobuz is lacking. Roger Water’s is releasing new version of Dark Side of the Moon in October But has just released the single Money but it’s nowhere to be found on Qobuz at the moment. But found it on Apple Music and Tidal. Not that big of deal in the end but it’s little things like that, that add up. Just frustrating when looking for something and not there but available elsewhere.

1 Like

Tidal’s mobile app is superior.

5 Likes

Qobuz probably belongs to the “hard stream” of the anti-globalist bloc.

God not another, when will they stop flogging that poor horse.

6 Likes

I think the problem here could be storage space. I have FLAC and WAVE files at home on my hard drives for ripped CDs. Both formats need space to co exists. To please both sides, Tidal would have to pay double for both types of files to exists which will be costly. I think only a limited FLAC files will exists for now to try and cover costs. And for those files existing in FLAC, chances are they might not be available in MQA.

1 Like

What is the reason to keep WAV files?

1 Like

Uh, maybe because Qobuz isn’t available in nearly as many countries as Tidal? Or maybe because some of us live in countries where Tidal is dirt cheap compared to North America and parts of Europe, so we keep both Tidal and Qobuz (also cheaper)? Or maybe because we don’t share your opinion?

1 Like

More reason to go with Qobuz, lol.

That said, just looked and it’s on Qobuz.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I always forget that these services and their catalogs aren’t global. What does Tidal go for where you live?

I’m in Brasil. I pay the equivalent of US$7.10 a month for the top Tidal plan, Tidal HiFi Plus. And that’s the highest in years because the dollar has recently fallen against the Brazilian real. Qobuz, Spotify, Apple Music and Amazon music are also much cheaper here. If they weren’t, there would be few subscribers. Wages are far lower here than in North America and most of Europe.

1 Like

Just preference. I rip my CDs in both formats but i don’t have any preference

So it’s a non-preference preference? What determines what format you will rip in? FLAC is all WAV is, plus widely supported metadata and smaller size.

1 Like

How bizarre! Quicker to rip to FLAC and then convert to WAV.

But my point wasn’t about a particular song or album. Just that sometimes Qobuz doesn’t always have what the others have. In this case it just seemed like a slight delay. I was only wanting to hear out of curiosity. Someone said it sounded like Leonard Cohen.

It’s actually still missing in Qobuz in the U.S.

Why convert to WAV?

1 Like

Same in South Africa , Tidal aims at a price point “indexed” To the foreign currency. My Hi Fi Plus is R 120 (=$ 6.72 today).

I am from the UK , and can’t even remember the exchange rate being a news item at home, here its on every bulletin even the in between 30 mins headlines - says it all

It’s quicker than re-ripping the same CD.
NB they keep two copies of each CD, one FLAC and the other WAV so this would be a non-destructive ‘convert’ leaving the original FLAC in place.

Oh really. Didn’t know. Good

It’s what I want to do Marian. For me and for fun I guess.

I’m not originally from Brasil. I’m Canadian, but have lived here for almost 25 years. I suspect the attention paid to a country’s currency in relation to the US$ has much to do with economic and social ties. We pay attention in Brasil because the country is a large exporter of commodities that are priced globally in US$. Also, for Brazilians who travel abroad, the U.S is the most popular international destination. In Canada, where I lived for many years, the relationship with the US$ is critical because about 75% of Canadian exports go to the U.S. and for most Canadians the U.S. is a relatively short drive away. Almost 90% of Canadians live within 160 km (100 miles) of the U.S. border, so cross-border trips are frequent,
Interestingly, the last time I looked Tidal’s price in Canadian dollars was the same as the U.S. price, which makes it a better deal as well, since the C$ is worth about 75 cents U.S. at the moment.