TIDAL to add 'millions' of Master Quality (MQA) Tracks

My point is that studio engineers are no great arbiter or authority of quality.

1 Like

I must say that in formal testing, skilled listeners normally do much better than untrained, unskilled ones in detection and discrimination. Statistical analysis is useful too. I do get your point, but good listening tests by skilled engineers are the tools we have available. Any better ideas are welcome.

Very likely there are a few versions, so you get them all if there is an doubt…

Moreover, no consensus exists among studio engineers that MQA is audibly or scientifically superior to conventional digital audio encoding and distribution methods. Many engineers have voiced their philosophical and/or technical criticisms of MQA. For example, see Brian Lucey and Mark Waldrep.

AJ

3 Likes

I would disagree here. Studio engineers, and musicians along with good sound engineers know what they want to hear. You should attend a few sound checks to see how particular they are.

Clearly there may be bad studio engineers and sound engineers out in the wild. Or maybe they have constraints on their out put thats beyond their control. But to dismiss them because of a few is ridiculous. It’s like saying all mechanics are your typical botch job merchants when their are so many dedicated professionals out there.

The reason replying to you is so tedious is you take what’s said, infer completely the wrong conclusion then condescendingly mansplain something irrelevant.

Nope. Simply explaining, because you asked, in general terms, why people may have doubts “when the individual who actually did it makes a statement saying that he did”, especially if they have reason to believe that what he claims to have done is impossible. When something appears to be impossible, you can’t just make claims, you have to present evidence.

1 Like

I understand, so all other releases from Warner Music are also authenticated, because they have the authentic version. Even the mp3 and flac releases. So MQA authentication is nothing special. Interesting point. Thanks for clearing.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, I remember that italian guy, who has invented cold fusion in his cellar. I don’t know why people insist, must be true, because he said he did.

But it isn’t 24/88.2. It is what the authentication says it is. And that is MQA 44.1kHz. (It doesn’t say 16 bit, but MQA has never created a different bit resolution than the original. Then it could also do 24 to 32).

I really hope you won’t say otherwise.
I can also agree with @joel, cause he is smart enough to say it’s not an specific Roon error. After all, you both gets the SW from Bob’s company.

I suppose you have the possibility to communicate with MQA team. It would be appreciated if you can in this matter.
I guess the challenge is that most (or some) DAC’s can’t be firmware upgraded. Hence this foggy explanations from Bob.

The MP3 versions are authentic MP3’s enjoy them for what they are, but they are not supposed to be the last word in quality and you know this.
CD is CD, an official release is what it is but there are issues as we know.
High res, well you have no idea of the authenticity of these, they could be upsampled CD. Nth generation copies. That’s fine too, if you like how it sounds. But authentic? Well you just don’t know…

1 Like

My post on the 35 years of published work expresses why the MQA situation is different from your cold fusion guy. MQA inventors have deep experience and respect from others for the technical areas involved in the codec.

3 Likes

You contradict yourself.

Did have Warner Music the authentic versions or not? Or are they only authentic if they were packed in MQA?

1 Like

That is what the italian guy also said. Do you want to call him a liar, what is your expertise in cold fusion.

Ok, I know, it is not fair to use your own arguments against you

The mental gymnastics going on to justify this crap is quite something to see.

1 Like

Of course they are authentic but flawed by digital technology. MQA corrects the flaw and takes the listener closer to the original sound without super wasteful higher and higher resolutions which only go some way to address the issue in the first place.

Mixing your arguments are not making them more true.
You spoke about authentication here not about the other so-called benefits of MQA.
So did I understand you correct that the new MQA files by Warner Music are not more authentic as their releases in other formats?

I don’t think you have any intension of understanding the glaringly obvious, but that’s ok with me. I enjoy the banter.
MQA is a delivery method of an authentic file (the A) without the distortion introduced by traditional delivery methods at A/D D/A gateways… ie an analog sound (all music is experienced in an analog dimension) delivered, un harmed down a digital pipeline.

I understand. In the church of Bob the definition of ‘authentic’ has also changed, like the meaning of ‘lossless’ before (see above discussions).
You have to excuse, for an old fart like me it is not easy to still keep track in the new world of alternative facts.

You guys may learn something by reading here: