TIDAL to add 'millions' of Master Quality (MQA) Tracks

I guess the batch processing has bugs… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OT
Just curious whether you’re related to the Richard Parker in Life of Pi :-))

Sorry if you get that comment often, it rang a bell. I rather liked Richard Parker.

No, no. As they were carefully curating them they must have got a bit tired at the end of the week.

2 Likes

you are right

I didn’t say any of that, you did. I was responding to this question:

“Well since that album is available in the original unmolested un-MQAd 24/48 on Qobuz, why would a rational person want any lossy MQA processing? It is just an unnecessary process. You can have the real thing.”

I have both Tidal and Qobuz and listen to both. I have MQA DACs and non-MQA DACs. Sometimes Tidal MQA sounds better, sometimes Qobuz high resolution sounds better. Sometimes the CD versions sound better. I don’t care about anything but how it sounds on my system to my ears. The rest is meaningless.

5 Likes

Because it’s much easier to discredit something you don’t like by calling it “fraud” or a “scam” rather than provide a sound well-researched argument for your position.

3 Likes

Interesting read with measurements:

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

2 Likes

Has there been a follow recently ?

“As an example of the real utility of MQA” suggests you know for certain Tesla vehicles will do some form of MQA decoding… can you share your source of that info?

If the car won’t do any MQA decoding, then what “less bandwidth usage” are you referring to ? Less than what ?

I have listened to this album a good few times and its simply breathtaking. I am though surprised that more albums do not sound this good. I am sure there are technical reasons but nonetheless, I am absolutely blown away by the audio quality of Weekend In London and it far surpasses any CD I have of Mr B.

1 Like

I totally agree, I played it through twice in a row and that’s rare for me. They captured something special there.

1 Like

Thank you for actually listening, rather than simply condemning.

I know the guy that helped Tidal get the deal done with Tesla and Elon announced upcoming Tidal support at his last press event. It is their intent to support decoding and rendering which means the MQA file size would be about 1/3 of the size of a 192k/24 bit non MQA file or about 1/2 of the 96k/24 bit non MQA file size. But the dev work is just beginning so no schedules or final features have been announced.

3 Likes

Ok cool, this is the only part I wanted clarification on. There hasn’t been anything said publicly about MQA decoding (I know Elon mentioned Tidal).

You obviously have a trusty source.

Cheers !

Are we talking about the new Mr George Benson…!’. Recordings?

Probably just well recorded, mixed, produced, mastered…

As an example, I’m listening to Affirmation (Track 13 - Jose Feliciano classic of course) on Spotify and I can’t hear a difference from the Qobuz 24bit version or the Tidal MQA version…

Spotify → Merging Anubis → Focal Utopia headphones.

Sounds good.

Measured the same dynamic range on all 3 versions by the way…

2 Likes

Great new feature but I’m finding that while the Master Track Radio Stations and Master Artists Radio stations are playing via Roon and on the Tidal desktop app, they are not playing well as downloaded content on my Astell & Kern DAP–specifically, they stop playing after the first track or a few tracks later. [the section containing Tidal Master playlists released months ago are playing on all devices as are Tidal albums I’ve downloaded for offline listening] Anyone else having a similar problem?

Well, I prefer these WMG MQA versions a lot, to be honest!image

1 Like

And these as well. Just listen if you like it or not

1 Like

[Edited.]

[An entire page of Pink Floyd and Tracy Chapman. I feel like I’ve stepped into a bad* 1980s hifi show.

*They were all bad.]